Flashback to my epic cherry pick

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NorCal, Mar 19, 2023.

1. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

These are the reason I signed up on this forum. Found in a junk tray 2 years ago in South Lake Tahoe for $10 each. Finds are still out there. This shop is unfortunately closed now. Getting ready to send them in to be graded. 384E189C-1955-451F-86DE-D164FED65798.jpeg 30F1C2C3-5700-4F9C-9DD1-BDF8C3085D71.jpeg 642D0452-5315-4D4F-8156-361B150642A2.jpeg 3CA51F1B-1A82-48B2-8CC4-29A4AC93B26C.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Wow! Nice finds for cheap, I had to pay up for my ‘21’s!

NorCal likes this.
  4. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Well. No wonder the shop closed.

dwhiz, John Anthony and Kevin Mader like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow! Nicely done!

I found this in a bulk bag of Wheat cents in 2006. There was a gob of dirt covering the mintmark. Even so, I was excited to find an XF 1914 in the mix as it was. The scuz came right off with a wooden toothpick. "D" does not just stand for "dirt"! I let out a shout that awoke my sleeping wife.

PCGS graded it XF40, straight grade. I sold it for $700-ish, as I recall. Not too shabby for something that cost me a nickel or less in bulk.

[​IMG]

6. lordmarcovan

I guess those two must have come out of the same collection the shop brought in, and somebody wasn't paying attention...

7. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

That’s what I think too. I checked everything and no 21 d. I also found a 28 s that I’m hoping for AU 53 and a 29 s at AU 55+

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Never had it graded?

9. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Getting ready to send them in to pcgs

furham likes this.
  10. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

There's a huge jump from VF to XF on the 21S and I'm kinda in between.

11. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

I’ll be happy with a vf 25. 30 if I catch the grader at a good time

lordmarcovan and furham like this.
  12. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Yeah you're probably right. Good luck.

13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Think and make the right decision @NorCal. Those half's do not look good enough to grade moderately. Issues will keep the grades down. Just my opinion, you are the decision maker, if you are satisfied with VF, it may happen, good luck.

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

21-s looks F15 to me; please let us know the grades!

Mr. Flute and NorCal like this.
  15. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Reminds me of the time I was surfing around on Ebay about 10 years ago and came across a listing for a penny collection in Whitman folders. There was only 1 picture provided of the folders laid out on the floor, and you couldn't see a single bit of detail about the individual coins. But, I happened to have some penny Whitman folders myself and examined which holes were filled and which weren't.... and wouldn't you know, it looked like the 14D slot was one of the few early wheaties that had a penny in it!

I figured it was a longshot, but threw in a low bid and got it for something like $10. When it showed up, sure enough, it was there! (Probably around VF30) I snapped some pictures and threw it right back on Ebay, it sold for around $350 or so! :greedy:

I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night otherwise, so I contacted the seller and PayPaled them an extra $100. :shy:

16. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

In VF the 21S is easily $1000 coin.

Omegaraptor and NorCal like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Good for you; you did the right thing. (And that was clever how you “read” the bad picture.) I too would have thrown a crumb to the guy who sold me my ‘14-D, but I don’t know who it was. I had mixed coins from about three sources into one big container, prior to the lucky find.

Cherd likes this.
  18. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

More than worth the grading fee.

19. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

absolutely.

NorCal likes this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Walking Liberty half is one of my favorite designs. Those and the Mercury dime, Standing Liberty quarter. Could be because I grew up when they were still being used.

NorCal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted