Flan cracks

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Paul M., Feb 20, 2017.

1. alde

alde Always Learning

I have a few cracked flan coins. As long as they are attractive coins and the crack is not too unsightly I'm OK with it. I'm on a fairly tight coin budget too so that makes it easier for me to get more scarce coins that somebody else might pass on.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

minor cracks really don't bother me much, as long as everything looks stable.

this one has been filled some, i don't know if it was intentional or just some stuff that got stuck in there.

[​IMG]

4. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I would be wary of any denarius that had a noticeable flan crack PLUS porosity and/or crystallization. Are the coins you're considering denarii?

rrdenarius and Paul M. like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm eyeing a Pertinax. It's from an online seller, so I don't have the ability to inspect the coin before purchase (another factor that's making me a bit wary).

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Many Pertinax denarii offered in the last 20 years have been those of the Alexandria mint which come in quite a variation in metal qualities. I would be more inclined to accept a cracked one with a smoother look like my first than on the textured second. I have not owned a Rome mint Pertinax and can't comment. When I bought mine, I thought they were rare and I was lucky to get any. Now it seems Alexandria is at least as common a Rome so you can be a bit more picky.
    rd0020bb1155.jpg rd0030bb1735.jpg

7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Like your Pertinax denarii , Doug . great portraits !

A Dominitian with a crack , does bother me a bit , Pegasus looks like an unicorn, but the price was OK.

denarius Domitian Pegasus 20mm 3 gram.jpg

Paul M., Mikey Zee, icerain and 11 others like this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

This spade has a small crack at the base of the handle as well as a small casting hole. I paid 40% of the going rate for it.

IMG_3661.JPG

Paul M., Mikey Zee, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Heres one of mine. The coin is a bit rough on the surface, but it's pretty solid.

008pii.JPG

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Sneezed so hard, he broke the flan!!!

randygeki and Paul M. like this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Line of snot!

Alegandron likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL

13. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

How would you feel if your coin had a circular crack covering a full 350 degrees?
    stellate.jpg
    Uncertain Mint Obol Gorgoneion 0.71g 10mm (sixteenth stater?)
    Obverse: Gorgoneion
    Reverse: Stellate design of Milesian style within incuse square

Draft saved Draft deleted