Five consecutive 2006 San Francsico $100 star notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Moonshine, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

I received five consecutive 2006 $100 star notes from the bank today in uncirculated condition. Also two others but non-consecutive from same district.

I am guessing these aren't keepers due to the number of total printed.

Run Size: 3,200,000
    Total Printed: 9,936,000

You think these would sell on ebay? Or anyone here need these for their collection? Thanks.

The one scan got cut off.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. papermoney54

papermoney54 Coin Collector

there star notes. could probably sell for 150 a peice. b/c there consecutive maybe 155 -160

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Just received my copy of the 10th Edition Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S.Paper Money and these notes book for $125 each. They are distributed in packs of 100, so I doubt being consecutive will add any value.

5. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

I am going to put them out on ebay for a 1-day auction starting tonight and see what happens.

6. papermoney54

papermoney54 Coin Collector

7. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Yeah man good luck. I would have a hard time believing any of the above comments about them being worth $125 each and so on... They are just too common and have too many print runs... I mean the print run itself is high, let alone how many other print runs there were for the same distict. I just turned in some 2006 $100 *'s (1 SF and 1 Atlanta) to the bank temporarily so I can go back and buy them along with some other old/star $100's. Let me tell ya this: The 2 2006 $100 stars would be the last 2 I would get if I had to choose some to buy back and some to just spend. They are too common, I have seen too many of them, and there really aren't enough $100 collectors out there who want to purchase $100's for over face, IMO. I of course still like to keep one nice example of every series and denomination, so I would keep one '06 $100 star.

8. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

I had some of those and decided to just spend them after much deliberating with myself. The run is too high and the examples I had were XF to VF. If you can afford to hold them, I would. Too bad I couldn't at the time.

9. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

$100's are tough. I've come across a few, here and there, that piqued my interest, by I just couldn't rationalize sitting on that much cash. It's because of that, that I decided to only collect the lower denominations. $1's through $20's, that;s it....and even with $20's, it has to be something really special to me, for me to set it aside.

10. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I think that is an extremely intellegent decision; I wish I could talk myself into doing something similar. Still, $50 is my favorite denomination, so I'd always collect those. But I have to agree with you on the $100 thing. Its just too much money and because there aren't too many $100 collectors, they seem to be common.

11. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

My favorite denomination is the $2, so it's pretty easy to set those aside! :)

12. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Well, if $2 is your favorite denomination, do you go through straps of used $2's? The last strap of used $2's I went through gave me awesome return. I got 3 stars (Series 2003, Minneapolis) as well as a minor but error enough 1976 error $2 with its consecutives that weren't errors. I'm also working on getting an entire set of 1976 $2 district set uncirc going. Believe it or not, it is still relatively common to find uncirculated 1976 $2's. I have yet to find any Monticellos from circulation, but I did buy some back in my buying days so I'm straight as far as red seals go anyways. Do you happen to have any interesting $2 finds?

13. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

I don't usually go through "straps" per se, but every few weeks, I'll go to the bank, and buy between $20 and $50 worth of $2's. If I find anything neat, I keep it. Otherwise, I just set them aside as spending money.
    I usually keep at least 1 $2 in my wallet, just because I like carrying them around. Believe it, or not, there have been a few instances where having that $2 on hand, has really come in handy.

In my searching so far, I've come across quite a few red seals, a couple of first day of issue (stamped) 1976's, and some low run's (6.4m) from the most recent 2003A series. No star notes yet, though.
    1 $2 that I am dying to get my hands on is a 2003A F*. Of course, any star note $2 would be great, but a 2003A Atlanta star, would make my day!

As for 1976's still being common, you are absolutely right. One time, I went to the bank, and bought $50 worth of $2's. They were all 1976's!

14. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I don't think too many of those '03A $2's were actually released into circulation. I have't heard any reports of people actually finding them in change or strap searches. I have one example. I paid $75 for it a while back. Worth every penny, if you ask me. I expect to see huge returns on it. It is of course GEM, with a nice 5-digit serial number. IMG_1465.jpg

The part about buying $50 worth of $2's and them all being 1976 doesn't surprise me at all-one bit. I've had similar experieces with $2 strap searching. Yet the funny part is, it seems like every Tom, Dick, or Harry will buy a "RARE 1976 $2 bill US" off you if you post it on eBay. I could just picture the listing now, "FROM VERY RARE L SAN FRANCISCO DISTRICT!!" Haha, its amazing what people will do to make a penny or two on eBay!

I have yet to find any red seals of anything-yet that is. I'm sure that they are probably becoming too scarce for circulation, but I'm looking for them anyways. Most bank tellers I talk to tell me, "I keep the red ones" when I explain what I do and collect.

Draft saved Draft deleted