Five consecutive $20 star notes...

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by umtrr-author, Sep 24, 2007.

1. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

Yesterday's visit to the ATM turned out to be pretty interesting...

Looking this morning at the twenty dollar bills I got from it, it turns out that there are five consecutively numbered star notes. Is that worth a period at the end of the sentence, or an exclamation point? Or several exclamation points, I don't know...

They are from the Series 2004 A, there is an "H4" in the bottom left corner and differing H numbers in the upper right corner. Serial numbers start at GF 03193882 and go to 886, all with the star following the number. And of course these are the "new" design twenties with the larger offset portrait of Mr. Jackson.

I wish I hadn't carried them around in my wallet for 24 hours as they are now slightly bent (not hard creased). I'm sure a session underneath Thalia's Krause catalogs will fix that alright, otherwise, they are crisp and clean, like they were just out of a pack.

Although I am quite certain that I have not just made Thalia's college fund :hammer: ! I, who can just about spell "star note" and that's about it, am wondering whether this set of consecutive star notes is of any value beyond that of being a novelty. I saw a thread about a $100 star note being of a bit of interest because there were so few hundreds of that type in general-- certainly not true of the twenties.

I'm going to keep them fresh in a couple of currency pages for now, and if it turns out that they're only worth up to 100% of face value, well, I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

It's odd that there are no star notes listed for 2004 A in Atlanta (GF). Could it possibly be (GE)? which would be Richmond? See link below.

Richmond has a series up to 03 200 000 and are listed at $50 ea in the Schwartz/Lindquist 7th edition. I have noticed that most modern do not sell as high as listed on eBay. Someone with more experience may have better info.

Look at: http://usci.nfshost.com/serials/f2004av.html

Good Luck - nice find!!!

Darryl

4. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Scan them or take a photo to post.

5. umtrr-author

Darryl, thanks for the link.

The bills are definitely GF. I checked the tables posted at the link and way over in the far right of the top table, the next to last column, there is under "August 06" the numbers GF 000 00001* to GF 032 00000* . The five numbers I have are very close to the end of that series-- assuming it is a series that this refers to, as they are GF 031 93882* to GF 031 93886*. There is an "F6" below the serial number at the top left on each bill.

Andrew, if I can get a decent resolution photo without attracting the attention of the authorities (!) I'll do that.

Meanwhile, I searched eBay on "star note 20"-- probably should have done that first!-- and was a bit underwhelmed at what I saw. If nothing else I have a nice "Show and Tell" at the next coin club meeting. There are some paper money collectors that attend and if they come running up to me, that will be a bit of an indication!

6. USS656

LOL- I looked at that table 3 times and never scrolled to the right. It does look like you have bills close to the end. Keep us updated on what happens at the club meeting, kind-of-curious to hear.

7. umtrr-author

Will do, although the next meeting isn't until next week. I'm kind of curious myself.

8. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

"G" is the Fed Reserve Bank of Chicago

"F" " " " " " " of Atlanta

So it is either of the two...please post a pic if you have it.

Nice finds!!

RickieB

9. USS656

LOL - that goes back to reading my own link again. Thanks for the catch! :smile

10. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Atlanta notes and apparently printed after Schwartz and Linquist (still can't get use to that). Seems they put out a pretty big run by the numbers quoted BUT..... are they FW or DC notes? Atlanta has the distinction of notes being printed at both facilies and FW are usually the rarer.

11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Very good find, look forwards to seeing the pics :thumb:

12. umtrr-author

Here's an attempt at a picture:

[​IMG]

13. umtrr-author

I promised a follow up post on this, and here it is...

I did some more checking around on the net and with local dealers that I trust, and the most informative (and entertaining) response I got was that if Thalia Elizabeth held on to them until she retired, the five star notes might be worth something above the $20 each that they are. The general consensus was remarkably similar across the 20 or so points I checked-- great curiosity, nice find, but not worth much above face if anything at this point.

I ended up selling them at face value to one of my fellow coin club members who collects star notes. He does a lot for our club and I thought it would be nice to place them with him where they would be more appreciated. We did a joint "show and tell" at the meeting this past week.

And he had an even better story than mine-- it turns out he got consecutive $1 star notes once -- four hundred of them!!!

14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

FOUR HUNDRED?!?!?!?! Wow!

Draft saved Draft deleted