Five-Cent Friday-part2 ...Post yours too!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Apr 12, 2024.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello everyone. This is second time that I've done this one. Hence the part 2...LOL.
    Since it's Friday and windy/rainy, I'm calling this " Five-Cent Friday part 2".just because I love coins and well... I'm not doing anything at the moment. biggrin.gif
    These two Nickels are from a contest that I won on another site. I don't know why one would grade these is beyond me. Any ideas how this is cost effective? I'm just happy to have them. biggrin.gif
    Nickelsobv.jpg IMG_20220526_005156472[9333].jpg Wooden nickelRev.jpg

JPD3, alurid, Anthony Mazza and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Here's a coin roll find from a long time ago (before I improved my photography).

1949MMCU_opt.jpg 1949obv_opt.jpg 1949rev_opt.jpg

5. Charles Ruge

Charles Ruge Supporter! Supporter

6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Sal, There’s a simple explanation…someone thought they would grade higher to justify the cost. And cost effectiveness sometimes has absolutely nothing to do with it…imo…Spark

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here's a different 5 cent coin, the first one, the 1792 half disme. This was my first "really big coin" which I bought in the mid 1990s.

1792 Half disme All.jpg

Research as shown that Thomas Jefferson had 1,500 of these coins made from Spanish (probably) silver dollars that he obtained from the First Bank of the United States in mid July 1792. He took them with him when he set out by coach to his Virginia home, Monticello. Perhaps an additional 500 were struck at the first United States mint in the fall of 1792.

Today there are about 325 survivors. Some of those are badly damaged or have a hole.

robec, Mainebill, gronnh20 and 14 others like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Please John.... Every thread that comes up. I don't care what that thread may be about.... Please post this half disme in the thread.

9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Well good lord, I can't compete with a half disme.

I'll contribute a humble 1972 D double struck
    DSCN7459 (2).JPG
    DSCN7460 (3).JPG

10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

In following your lead @SensibleSal66, this coin was also won by me. The awesome benefactor of this piece already posted in this thread ;) Right Randy? :)

IMG_20210325_233300531_HDR.jpg IMG_20210325_233449457_HDR.jpg

11. johnmilton

Here are the three early types of half dimes. I have been enamored with these coins since high school. Some people don't like them because they are very small. Just think of the effort it took to make the dies for these tiny coins, given the amount of detail they have.

Flowing Hair, 1794-5. The 1795 is the most common date among the early half dimes from 1792 to 1805.

1795 Half Dime All.jpg

Draped Bust, Small Eagle, 1796-7

1797 16 star LM-3 T.jpg

Draped Bust, Large Eagle, 1800-5

1800 Half Dime 64 All.jpg

12. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

First nickel ever minted ;) ...

5C 1866 obv.jpg

5C 1866 rev.jpg

13. Randy Abercrombie

So the story I have heard about him pilfering Mrs. Jefferson's silverware is an old wives tale?

14. johnmilton

Yea, the original story was the George Washington donated "Martha's flatware" for the coins. That has been debunked. Having Thomas Jefferson handle the coins is even better. He might have touched the piece I posted. He gave the half dismes out as tips on his way to Monticello.

15. SensibleSal66

Tips, Tip? If only that kind oF kindness still existed?
    Love stories like that.... biggrin.gif
    John or anyone else? Got any GW buttons? Know a person who found 4, yes 4 in ONE DAY! 3 in one yard and one in another. True story... biggrin.gif
    If so, post them for my "Token Tuesday" thread.

16. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

The closest I'll ever come to the "John Milton Collection."

@Randy Abercrombie , these are for you . . . . .

Z

IMG_3057.JPG IMG_3058.JPG

17. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Here are a couple "misplaced sense" over-strikes.

Z

IMG_3981.JPG IMG_3982.JPG IMG_3979.JPG IMG_3980.JPG IMG_3976.JPG IMG_3977.JPG IMG_4032.JPG IMG_4033.JPG

18. johnmilton

Yes, I only have one, and it's quite nice. Collecting these pieces is a big financial commitment, especially when you want pieces with the original shank intact. 19th century collectors had a bad habit of breaking them off so that they would sit flat in coin cabinets.

GWButton1.JPG

From what I have read, these pieces were worn like cufflinks. They were not sewn on the coat; they were attached.

Mainebill, Evan8, Tall Paul and 4 others like this.
  19. SensibleSal66

Very nice specimen! Yes, I've heard that they are just attached crudely. That explains all the buttons that I have found metal detecting. biggrin.gif

20. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I just picked this up this morning at a coin show in Gettysburg, PA.
    Nickle Brockage1.jpg Nickle Brockage2.jpg

21. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Have an offer in on a pretty 1/2 dime (with about an hour left on the "auction" (too high a start price.. no bids.. I offered the seller list.. I expect a positive answer shortly after auction closes still with no bids lol)

Yup yup he accepted with 11 minutes to go

58foc.jpg 58fr2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted