Featured Fitz's Medieval Book Review

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Nov 13, 2016.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I suppose it depends on how you define 'interesting' - if we're talking sheer design, I think Germany wins, but those can rather pricey. Perhaps the Netherlands is a spot with some interesting designs that are often overlooked (more 14th/15th century though). Poland and Bohemia are other good options, as are Armenia.

If it's history interesting then that could be darn near anything...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I bought this book, and would give it higher marks than you did, since I found it pretty comprehensive for a "beginner's" guide, and neither dumbed-down nor intimidatingly scholarly. In my opinion, it struck a good balance and made no pretension of being "complete" in any way. Personally, I thought it was a good value for the money, though I do not remember spending $50 on it. I think I got it in the $40-something range. (And that with a leftover Amazon gift card I had to burn, so all the better.)

Lordmarcovan's grade: B to B+.

It is very likely that I fall closer to the intended "beginner" demographic than @FitzNigel does, which may account for the difference in our opinions.

+VGO.DVCKS, L C, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  4. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

My low mark was mostly for the disorganized nature of the book and the numerous distracting errors. I did not expect it to be 'complete' as that would be impossible in a single volume work. It does provide good information for the beginner, but I think that information is very difficult to find again after an initial read through the book

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'll grant that it's been a while since I read it, too, so I'm going by memory of my initial impressions at the time.

Edit to add: apparently I'm not savvy enough to have been distracted by any errors. ;)

+VGO.DVCKS, GeorgeM and FitzNigel like this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Grierson, Philip. The Coins of Medieval Europe. Coins in History. London: Seaby, 1991.
    ISBN: 1852640588
    Cost: $200

IMG_1732.JPG

Grade: A-

While Spufford's Money and its use in Medieval Europe is perhaps the best overview of the medieval economy, Grierson's Coins of Medieval Europe is the best overview of the coins themselves. Grierson's book is illustrated throughout with pictures of the coins mentioned in the text (including color plates for gold coins), mostly taken from the FitzWilliam museum collection in Cambridge that he was instrumental in building. A few types mentioned in the text are missing an illustration, but considering the vast number of medieval coins this can almost be forgiven. The text is conveniently broken down into individual chapters by century (with the usual discussion of why periodization is arbitrary), and then sections devoted to the different regions of Europe which produced related coins. Grierson provides necessary background history to place the coins in context, but mostly focuses on the coins themselves and what can be said about their issue.

The Coins of Medieval Europe is by no means exhaustive, but such a task would be impossible for a single volume (after all, medieval Coinage spans a millennia, and covers an entire continent with no centralized issuing authority). Having said this, the lack of coverage of Byzantine coins takes away somewhat from the all-encompassing nature of the book. Grierson points out that he has written extensively before on Byzantine coinage, and that (at the time he was writing), there was a forthcoming book on Byzantine coins within this same series. Despite this, Byzantium would still have an (albeit small) influence on European coins, and it would have been nice to see them included in the discussion. I suppose the same could be said for Islamic coins, but naturally one has to draw the line somewhere, and Grierson chose to cut out the Greeks with the Arabs. Apart from this, my only other criticism is that the attributions for coins pictured lack a description of obverse and reverse, but this is minor considering one can actually look at the coins.

VD76, +VGO.DVCKS, L C and 14 others like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very nice! You should reach out to the Esylum, they may put your reviews in their newsletter.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Would you say this is more of a book to sit down and read or a reference book to pick up as needed?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Sit down and read. While Grierson gives pictures of some of the more common types, it by no means acts as a reference.

+VGO.DVCKS and Paul M. like this.
  10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Very interesting write up, Fitznigel! Thank you for posting it. The only comment that I can make is about the cover of the book which is not very exciting. It doesn't sell the contents of the book very well and make me want to look inside.

+VGO.DVCKS and FitzNigel like this.
  11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

For Torongo? Perhaps it's another instance of showing his own collection, which would frankly be understandable (Grierson's is practically the same...)

In a way I regret having this book as my first review, as that's the one that keeps getting attention... maybe I was too harsh in my review, but I do think the organization make sure it a flawed book. It does have a lot of great information though, it just doesn't work as a reference, which seems to be its intention.

+VGO.DVCKS, Paul M. and Deacon Ray like this.
  12. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I'm sorry! Yes the Torongo book is the one that could use a splashier cover. My perspective comes from having worked as a senior designer for 15 years in the DC area. I don't think you were too critical—after all—this is a rather elite forum.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

14. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Roberts, James N. The Silver Coins of Medieval France (476-1610). South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1996.
    ISBN: 0915018543
    Cost: $200

IMG_1738.JPG

Grade: A-

This is the most comprehensive catalogue of medieval French coins. The author's intention was to catalogue all of the different types of French coins, and to organize it in such a way that the coins can be identified by the design of the coin, rather than the place of issue. This can be useful for medieval coins, as there are thousands of different types issued by hundreds of feudatory lords. What can then be frustrating is trying to compare the coins from a single area or issuer (but there is a chart at the end which lists the type by place of issue). I can only imagine Roberts has mostly succeeded in the goal of cataloguing all of the medieval silver coins, but I know from personal experience it is not complete. I have one coin which is a variety not found in the book, and another coin where only the reverse is listed, but not the obverse. However, these shortcomings can be forgiven considering the vast quantity of coin designs possible.

If I were forced to sum up the book in one word, it would be "complex." It takes a little getting used to, as the obverse and reverse are not depicted with one another on the same page; rather they are on facing pages (and Roberts wisely avoids the terms 'obverse' and 'reverse' as these are not always apparent on medieval coins). The large amount of coins leaves little room for giving the historical background for the coins, and so it sometimes misses an opportunity to explain why one coin is attributed to a certain issuer when the actual issuer is unknown (such as the coins of Eleanor of Aquitaine). However, each coin does have a reference for where Roberts gained his information, and one can follow up on his work (which is again a complex process which requires one to look at a chart in the back).

No photograph plates are provided, just line drawings. However, this is sufficient for medieval silver coins. As the title states, it is just silver coins represented here, no gold. Despite some of the flaws or complexity of use, this is still a comprehensive catalogue of medieval French coins, and one which is almost universally used by sellers. As such, it is a must have for anyone who collects medieval or French coins. I could only think of how the coins of Germany would become much more accessible to the numismatic community if there was a book like Roberts' which covered the subject if German Coins.

VD76, +VGO.DVCKS, L C and 7 others like this.
  15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Duplessy, Jean. Les Monnaies Françaises Féodales, Tome I. Paris: Maison Platt, 2004.
    ISBN: 295103556X
    Cost: €70

IMG_1739.JPG

Grade: C+

I'm frankly a little disappointed with Duplessy's first volume on the feudal coins of France. The book is primarily a catalog of the different types accompanied by line drawings. However, it offers little more than this. While obverse and reverse descriptions are provided, there is no historical background for most of the coins, and those that do receive extra attention receive very little. While reading through the book, I kept asking myself "what is the purpose of this book? How does it set itself apart from Poey d'Avant or Roberts?" Sadly, I don't believe it does. It does differ from Roberts in that Duplessy is organized by county or duchy, but otherwise the information provided in Roberts is more useful. I suppose the inclusion of the legends on the coins is something Roberts does not have, this is something that can still be easily read from the line drawings (and it is this that bumped the grade from a 'C' to a 'C+'). Despite being spread over two (and a forthcoming third?) books, it is also incomplete. I have coins that are not contained here, and in the case of the Norman coins, Duplessy ignores many issues that have been recorded by numismatist before him. He even ignores Roberts' work altogether, which seems like a terrible oversight of a monumental work.

Duplessy's books are noted as standards for medieval French Coinage, but judging from this one volume, I doubt I will buy the second volume, or his books on royal coins.

VD76, +VGO.DVCKS, Broucheion and 3 others like this.
  16. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Bente and Paul Withers. The Galata Guide to the Pennies of Edward I and II and the Coins of the Mint of Berwick-upon-Tweed. Galata Print, 2007. ISBN-10:0954316258
    41qh4Q9nWnL._SX337_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Grade: A+

The pennies of Edward I and Edward II are some of the most collectible and interesting medieval English coins, both readily available and fairly inexpensive, and yet to all but the well studied expert can be incredibly confusing. From 1279 tho 1327 the style of the English penny was for all intents and purposes immobilized, with the king's portrait on the obverse and a long cross and triple pellets on the reverse. Only the legends and a few stylistic details changed from class to class and mint too mint. To be able to identify ruler and class can be incredibly challenging, and yet with this book the Withers, husband and wife, have put together an excellent guide for doing just that.

For those familiar with Galata books, they have a reputation for excellent layout and photography, and this book is no different. The pictures of the pennies are clear and large, and the layout of the book is superb. It opens with a short introduction and beginners guide on classifying pennies. The meat of the book follows with a section on the different mints that struck coins for both kings. For each mint is listed the classes that were struck as well as the associated legends. A reverse of a penny is also pictured in fine detail for each class.

After the mints, the individual classes are covered, and this is where the book shines. For each class there is a list of mints, legends, and a brief overview. Pictures of obverses for each subclass are also shown in great detail as well as illustrations of stylistic elements such as crown, letters, and neck ornaments. Finally, the book covers the coinage of Berwick-upon-Tweed with the same thoroughness as previous classes.

The Withers have put together an indispensable guide tho the pennies of Edward I & II that is clearly laid out and very well illustrated. The book makes the task of classifying Edward pennies very easy with just a little time spent reading and some sharp eyes. For those a with any interest in the coinage of these two kings, the book is a must have.

VD76, +VGO.DVCKS, L C and 9 others like this.
  17. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Ooo... I have wanted that book. Thanks for the review @TheRed ! A shame it doesn't include Edward III, but it seems to me there is a feature in the portrait which clearly distinguishes EIII (can't recall what it is off the top of my head though...)

+VGO.DVCKS and TheRed like this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Outstanding review. Makes me want to read it even though I haven't collected any of these coins.

+VGO.DVCKS and TheRed like this.
  19. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Thanks @Jwt708 it's never too late to become a medieval collector.

@FitzNigel it's all inn the portrait and hair. The 3rd (Florin) coinage and subsequent ones of Edward III have a very distinct portrait and hair style. The first two coinages of Edward III are to small with few pennies minted.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  20. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

I saw a great selection of cheap Polish medieval coins with a dealer recently. He said most are really common and actually hard to sell because not widely collected.

21. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Buck, Ivan. Medieval English Groats.
    Greenlight Publishing: 2000 Pages: 66

ISBN-10: 1897738420
    Price: approx $25
    20170729_211103.png

Grade: B/B+

Ivan Buck is probably the greatest expert on the subject of English groats, so it is no surprise that he would author a book on the coins. And this is a subject that deserves such a renowned author as Mr. Buck. Groats were first minted under Edward I, and would continue being minted from Edward III until the 19th century. This book covers those groats minted from the reign of Edward I up to the Tudor monarchs, a span of over 300 years.

The book has a short introduction by Mr. Buck, before diving right into the coins. The first two chapters are devoted to Edward I & III, and Richard II - Henry V. The next two chapters cover Henry IV and errors. Then comes four chapters on Edward IV: his first reign, provincial mints, light coinage, and second reign. Finally, the last few chapters cover Edward V, Richard III, and the Tudors. Each chapter contains text describing the various issues of the monarch, as well as accompanying photos. Initial and privy marks are illustrated, and there is even a flow chart for the Yorkists groats. The most unexpected section is a discussion of the operation of royal mints and the positions and offices there within.

This book is highly informative and useful, yet can be somewhat frustrating at the same time. Ivan Buck knows his subject like no other, and it comes through in this book. It is a great source of information on the English groats, maybe the best out there. The chapters covering Henry VI and Edward IV are the high points, with nice photos and an excellent breakdown of issues and mints. The level of detail and the description of the coins is exhaustive. This makes the flaws of the book maddening. As Mr. Buck notes in the introduction, the book originated as a series of articles in a magazine, and that is evident in the layout and text of the first two chapters. The chapter on Richard II- Henry V especially suffers from very poor photos and layout. It is hard to distinguish the coins based on the text and the photos are small and grainy.

With all that said, I would grade the book a B/B+. There is a lot of great information contained in the pages, as well as some really nice photographs. The book particularly shines on the topic of Henry VI and Edward IV. What holds this book back from being top notch is the poor photos in the first two chapters. Also, there are lots of variations of the different classes of groats mentioned in the text of those chapters with no corresponding photos. Despite the flaws, I would still highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in English hammered coins, especially given the relatively low price.

VD76, +VGO.DVCKS, L C and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted