Fishy Coins for Sale on eBay... Stolen?!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Drsandman2, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Drsandman2

Drsandman2 New Member

I wanted to pass along the word over here that there might be some stolen coins on eBay. Anyone recognize them? A seller with zero feedback is selling these coins unslabbed, but all are Gem, Toned and BU: 1858 Pattern Cent, 1870 Pattern 50 Cent struck in Copper, 1829 Half Dime, 1887-S Dime, 1941 Walker.

Interestingly, the SAME EXACT 1858 Pattern Cent was posted on CoinCommunity. Shortly after I identified it as the J-208, the mysterious seller posted the coin with the info I provided. When called out on it, the OP said that their late grandfather had taken photos of the coin and sent it out. I'll try to include the link to the thread at CC here, not sure what the rules are. If these coins are stolen, it would be nice to find their owner. Obviously, these are some rare coins.

By the way, I spent a lot of time with eBay explaining the situation. They are investigating.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/chamblee56/m.html?item=230845403013&pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35bf754f85&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=128352

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for posting.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I don't see how you have any indication that the coins have been stolen. However, I think you have a good indication that the pictures have been stolen. It would be interesting to see the eBay sellers expressions when he learns his money will not be released until the buyers receive their coins. I will bet he does not know what is coming for him.

5. Eps

Eps Coin hoarder/ lover

Also who sells a top of the line handbag and coins too with 0 feedback, btw is anyone else getting this on ccf:Message: Server is down, please try again later.

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Nope. Working fine.

7. Eps

Eps Coin hoarder/ lover

That's weird. For like 2 months on different devices I have gotten that, anyone know why?

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I picked up on this from the Fly-in thread. Could not find the coin in several years of past auctions. Something is going on.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think it was actually the guys father that sent images out and he was going to contact his father to see what he knew about the coin being on Ebay. Too early to know much.

10. PrestonsMom

PrestonsMom New Member

This is precisely why I'm so scared to buy coins on eBay. Preston will have my watch list completely full and he's very excited about all of them, but I don't know yet what a good price is for an 1860 something IHC, or an early Roosevelt dime. I like to take my time and make sure things aren't overpriced for the current market :)

11. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I know I've never seen new valves with used Teflon tape on them. Totally honest seller...

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The pipe wrench marks made me wonder how new they were.

13. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Don't be scared. If there's an auction you're interested in, and you have concerns, just post a link here on CT. I've never had a problem either buying or selling on eBay, and that covers thousands of transactions over the past twelve years. Once you learn the warning signs, you'll be fine.

14. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

That half dollar may be my new favorite coin. Absolutely beautiful!

15. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

The member who started that thread on CCF, did not say his grandfather sent photos but his father did. He's also not referred to his grandfather in the paste tense, which would indicate he is deceased either. If you re-read the OP's second and third posts to the thread over there, you'll see what I'm talking about.

From the OP's 3rd post, page 1: "My father had sent out some photos to some people awhile back to see what information that he could find on it though did not have much luck."

The OP's 2nd post, page 1: "
    I am not an advanced collector and my grandfather has thousands of coins for me to go through,

16. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Love a good mystery!
    I put the two coins together and FWIW I see a remarkable similiarity in the two pics. I don't think either ones been photoshopped with a different backround as you can see the shadows of the coin. They both show very similiar lighting both in quality and direction. The only difference is the white balance which you would get using an auto setting with two different color backrounds. If I were to guess, I would say the same photo setup was used for the two pics.

Attached Files:

17. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Could just be a pawn store or picker deciding to take his business to the internet.

18. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I think if you read the entire CC thread that the OP linked in his opening post, you'll find it's a lot more complex than that.

19. BUncirculated

The only complexity to that thread is the OP solicited information from the members there, he received what he was looking for, and listed the coin on eBay, and the OP to this thread, and some of the other regulars are ticked because that member did what he did.

BTW, what exactly(to Drsand), did that OP do that was so wrong? FYI, it's his coin and he can do what he wishes with it. If he wishes to run it up his rearend, it's his right to do so. No one would want to buy it after it had been there, but he can do as he wants with his coin.

I also, and this is just MHO, think that you only joined CT for the sole purpose to bring that drama over here.

20. Drsandman2

Drsandman2 New Member

Yeah, my bad. These are his grandfathers coins, and his father sent the picture. Sorry, dang. That detail has nothing to do with the point of the post.

The coin is listed under a different seller, chamblee56. The OP in the CC thread has an eBay account rum_n_soda. Seems as though one is concealing their identity. Now, why would someone do that?

Due to the rarity and condition of the coins, it is obvious to me at least that these coins being sold were extracted from slabs. Now, why would someone do that?

I also find it suspicious that chamblee56 is also selling a trench coat and a purse. If one reads the thread, I don't see how one can not see something very fishy is going on.

21. BUncirculated

Watch this Drsand:

Draft saved Draft deleted