First win of the year at Triton XXIV

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Michael Stolt, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

My first day of Triton XXIV went very well. Got my main target in session one. Probably among, or even the finest known specimen of the type. I haven't seen a better one apart from the specimen of the same type that is currently in my collection (photo at the bottom of the post.

image00061.jpg

The Triumvirs. Fulvia, third wife of Mark Antony. Circa 41-40 BC. Æ (20mm, 6.10 g, 12h). Eumeneia (as Fulvianon) mint. Zmertorix, son of Philonides, magistrate.

Obverse: Draped bust of Fulvia (as Victory) right.

Reverse: Athena standing left, holding shield and reversed spear; [Φ]OYΛOYIANΩN downward to right, [Z]MEPTOPIΓOΣ/ΦIΛΩNIΔOY in two lines downward to left.

Reference: RPC I 3139.

From the Peter J. Merani Collection. Ex David Freedman Collection (Triton V, 15 January 2002), lot 506.

Fulvia was first married to P. Clodius, the Roman firebrand. After his violent death in 52 BC, she married C. Scribonius Curio, who likewise met an untimely end in Africa. She married Mark Antony in 44 BC, and became an outspoken defender of his interests in Rome while he campaigned in the east (and enjoyed the attentions of Cleopatra). The city of Eumenia was re-named Fulvianon in her honor by Antony's partisans. By 40 BC, Fulvia's strident attacks on Octavian had provoked a reaction, and she had to flee first to southern Italy and then to Greece. She met Antony at Athens, where he upbraided her for antagonizing Octavian when he was trying to maintain a semblance of cordial relations. Fulvia died at Sicyon shortly thereafter. Some examples of these coins show that the ethnic was removed from the die and two countermarks were applied, one that was the monogram of old Eumeneia, and the other probably of the magistrate Zmertorix, possibly proclaiming that he did not think such a renaming of the city was a good idea in the first place.

My current specimen:

5245801.jpg

H.D Rauch, E-Auction 28 (13 September 2018), lot 131. (24mm, 7.48 g).

Pavlos, galba68, eparch and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats finding this one, and a great feeling to get it early in the auction! What a great coin.

Here is mine, that I am sure you have already seen... I just like her Olive Oyl innocent look, but she was a Tough Bad-As Leader (very uncommon for Romans), being the first living Roman Female featured on a coin. LOL, all her husbands seemed to had gotten killed!

upload_2021-1-19_10-29-41.png
    The Triumvirs. Mark Antony.
    Late summer-autumn 43 BC.
    AR Quinarius (13mm, 1.67 g, 5h).
    Lugdunum (Lyon) mint.
    Winged bust of Victory right, with the likeness of Fulvia
    / Lion walking right; DVNI (retrograde and inverted) above, LVGV in exergue; A to left, X [L] to right (= 40, Antony’s age at time of issue).
    Crawford 489/5; Lyon 2; King 75; CRI 122; Sydenham 1160; Fulvia 4.
    VF, lightly toned, light porosity
    Ex: CNG Auction

galba68, eparch, Spaniard and 12 others like this.
  4. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! :) It feels great with a start like this.

She does have a little Olive look on the quinarii.

Here's mine:

5597367.jpg
    (RPC I 513)

galba68, eparch, Spaniard and 6 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Yeah, just found this... seems to sum Fulvia's history up in one phrase.

upload_2021-1-19_11-44-11.png

Scipio, Michael Stolt and Curtisimo like this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Simply wonderful coin @Michael Stolt . Great write up too.

75C70152-823C-4F9E-A64C-9367FFA5F623.gif

Michael Stolt and Alegandron like this.
  7. Alegandron

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted