First timer searching rolls of pennies.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Mmillerpslfl, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Mmillerpslfl

Mmillerpslfl Member

Just bought some Whitman penny books to start collecting. I've only opened a few rolls but found some cool pennies. Just wanted to share a few with you guys.
    CM190618-183359008.jpg CM190618-183511010.jpg CM190618-183806011.jpg CM190618-183846012.jpg CM190618-203828038.jpg CM190618-203816035.jpg CM190618-203801034.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

4. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

Nice finds. superb condition.

Inspector43 and Mmillerpslfl like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Great coins for a first time coin roll hunter.

Inspector43 and Mmillerpslfl like this.
  6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

great start for the coin folders..

Mmillerpslfl likes this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Welcome to CT, nice finds

Mmillerpslfl likes this.
  8. Mmillerpslfl

Mmillerpslfl Member

Thanks! I've got about $20 worth to go through still. I bought some nitrile powder free gloves, a magnifying glass, and some sorting trays. I have a place that's letting me get a box a week. I'm pretty sure I just started an addiction lol

9. Inspector43

A link to one of my posts that will show what you face when addicted https://www.cointalk.com/threads/sorting-my-70-year-accumulation.330231/

Mmillerpslfl likes this.
  10. Mmillerpslfl

Mmillerpslfl Member

That's awesome! What a cool collection. I haven't really seen any good grade coins in person yet. The coin shop I went to didnt really want to waste time with me and my little penny book(I completely understand), so i figured I'd be learning most of this on my own. So cool to see some other peoples collections!

Inspector43 and Collecting Nut like this.
  11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Good start.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Inspector43

I collected for 70 years before I joined this site. I was very a good with dates, mints, general grading and eye appeal. I knew very little about varieties and errors. The members of this forum will give you everything you need if you listen. Have fun.

13. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

14. Mmillerpslfl

Mmillerpslfl Member

Sorry for not writing and updating this thread sooner. Our 15 year old dog passed away last week and I haven't had the energy to do much since.

15. Mmillerpslfl

Mmillerpslfl Member

I recently traded my pennies in for an unsealed box! The are all wrapped in N.F. Strings and son wrappers. Every single one of the rolls look brand new and all the end pennies are 2019. I broke one roll open and they look really nice. Kinda like mint condition. Is this something worth checking out or should I leave them alone and trade them in? CM190627-111144006.jpg CM190627-111105002.jpg

onecenter, SorenCoins and Inspector43 like this.
  16. awesomeitems

awesomeitems Member

17. awesomeitems

awesomeitems Member

I like the 1950 D.

Mmillerpslfl likes this.
  18. Inspector43

New mint rolls can be fun. I looked through some that I had for many years and found die cracks, die scratches, etc. where several coins were obviously made from the same die. They may not be rare or valuable but they can be an interesting part of collecting.

SorenCoins and Mmillerpslfl like this.
  19. Mmillerpslfl

Mmillerpslfl Member

Cool. I'll break them open then. I'll use gloves. I looked up today the difference between a double die and machine doubling. So I should have a good idea what to look for with that.

Inspector43 and SorenCoins like this.
  20. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Yes definetly can be fun! Use a loupe to go through and find die breaks and cracks and whatnot and maybe find some from the same die! So sorry to hear about your dog, that can be very hard and my condolences go out to you.

Mmillerpslfl and Inspector43 like this.
  21. Mmillerpslfl

Mmillerpslfl Member

Had to look up what a loupe is. That seems like a great idea! Any brands you can recommend that wouldn't put a hole in my wallet?

SorenCoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted