First time for everything...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MatthewT, Mar 18, 2018.

?

What do you think?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2018.
  1. Bring more money, it’ll be great!

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Stick to online shopping!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

So, long story short, tomorrow morning/afternoon I need to take my car and accumulate some highway miles. This is because some of my engine systems have not completed a full measurement/reading since the last time I cleaned my battery. I was denied my car inspection because of this and was told some high RPM mileage should do the trick.
    Anyway, I decided to look up some coin stores that were a decent drive away. I stumbled on one at a mall some 20miles from my house. I called to confirm there business hours and plan to visit them tomorrow afternoon. I mean, I don’t want to drive on the highway and not have anywhere to go!
    So! This will be my first time going to a coin shop. I am exited! I’m only bringing $100 so don’t expect to go too crazy!
    Anywho, if anyone can share there experience with coin shops please chime in! Any advice is really appreciated. I’m mainly looking for some hole fillers and what’s called “junk silver” in coin series I don’t have many of. ( silver quarters pre 1932, dimes pre 1964 ( expecially barber/Mercury), and definitely any half dollars that aren’t Kennedy’s. Lol. My “constitutional silver “ collection is not very vast so I’m sure they’ll have plenty of things I don’t have. I’d like advice in what kinda deals I should expect/be looking for. I have only purchased coins online or at flea markets, will it be similar? What should I expect a “bargain bin” to contain? Are the chances high that they’ll even have one? That’s probably what I’m most interested in. Silver quarters for under $6, dimes under 4$. As long as there’s a date it’s good enough for me! Am I being realistic or will I be devestatingly disappointed?
    One thing I do plan on bringing is the small list of coins I need to complete the books I currently have.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I thought it was going to be short.. o_O

Pick a bunch of coins and simply ask for a better price as a whole. Sometimes they will give you a slight percentage off.

MatthewT likes this.
  4. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

Well, the car details part.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I edited my post to include an idea :rolleyes:

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Heck man. Enjoy the adventure! Just be aware of one thing that caught my attention. Shopping mall storefronts can be expensive for the owner/proprietor. If it’s one of those high end shopping malls there may not be much in the way of good deals. Rent can be expensive in those high end malls! And yeah, I would expect most any dealer that’s had his doors open for any length of time to have a “bargain box” so to speak. Have fun!

7. just a penny.. right

just a penny.. right Active Member

Have fun. Be safe.

MatthewT likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Every coin shop is different. Walk in and say HI.

MatthewT likes this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

And if this coin shop doesn’t work out, remember that there are plenty of places to fuel your hobby.

MatthewT likes this.
  10. MatthewT

MatthewT Active Member

Well, I had to choose the furthest store but it wound up being a small kiosk with really not much at all. Wish I had more money though, they had beautiful 10oz bars of silver!
    Settled for a 1881Philly Morgan (already had 1883S & 1885O) , a yesteryear Americana set, and a 1993 S Proofset with silver commemorative dollar! I wish I could have spend a little less but I enjoyed the trip regardless. And probably worth the most is all the stores and phone numbers I acquired yesterday in my search! Turns out there are a handful of stores in my and neighboring counties!

Pics: F059B957-EF16-4850-B029-00161E089DE7.jpeg 3DD0EBBA-1FD0-446B-9CC9-7AB5F31F09D0.jpeg 0114FEB9-5FE2-4672-811A-AF5501ABE88C.jpeg

Richard gladfelter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted