First Time Coin Show Vendor (maybe) Questions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jim-P, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

First where is Annandale? Second. Yes write on 2x2’s. Thinking cash is the safe way. I don’t do shows But I do know I only do credit only if it’s God. You’ll be ok as long as you get what you think it’s worth. Baby steps. Talk to people. Ask why the coin interest them. I love talking coin language. Learn every day. I’m a troll. Trying to help if I can

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

@Jim-P

4. Cheech9712

Interesting

5. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice. I've been waffling on whether or not to set up. But I'm thinking with the uncertainty of the delta variant this could be my only chance for anything local for a while.

6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I suggest just going to shows and hanging around all day and watch, maybe bring some items you might want to sell, and a list of items you might want to buy.

Most folks at shows are lookieloos or fast fingers, the actual buyers usually go to the dealers they already know in fact were told to meet the dealer there for what they want in a lot of cases, so the majority of traffic a new table would get is other dealers looking for a deal to make a profit off of selling to a regular of theirs.

My opinion, go a few times to the shows, watch the game in progress, participate in some sales to dealers and buy some coins you need also, and figure out if you want to be tied to a table all day watching for the slight of hand guys, when you could take care of business with a binder and a backpack and a want list in hand and be gone in an hour or so instead of waiting around all day through the lulls. if a dealer is buying, at a show or at their shop, they aren't paying full retail either way so it's not much of a loss really, you'd need some time and experience to get your stable of regulars at a show, but most of that comes from just talking to people, making contacts.

in my opinion, go with business cards with contact info and hand them out to anyone you talk to, if you want to build a business, that's how it's done. Even if you just headhunt the shows for a few customers that you have already for their wants and take a commission, it's a beginning. it's more about building connections and contacts and being able to source and offload inventory just like any other business. it takes time to build this. setting up a table with nothing lined up on either side of a deal, in my opinion, is a bad idea, except for a bad experience with doing it. the other dealers know each other at these shows and know who the green dealers are, and the people there to buy have their favorites they trust already and mostly want to get in and get out. the randos that show up to your table, and actually want to buy something then and there, at the moment are very few and far between. Most folks will treat it more like an antiques roadshow and there to ask about a plated coin they found or something along those lines and not even there to buy anything. LOL
    the idea would to become the guy to call when they are ready to buy or sell something down the road, that you come to mind over other places, someone they've met and feel comfortable dealing with. when this builds up, then get your table. Until then just be a nomad at the shows.

Just one persons opinion on it in a sea of opinions on it. Best of luck!

Cheech9712 and Jim-P like this.
  7. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

@Cheech9712 : The NOVA Community College campus on Little River Turnpike.

(added 7/26, oops, though you said where in Annandale, rather than where is Annandale, sorry)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  8. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

Well as it turned out I did not go to sell. A problem came up that took up most of my week. Although I did get a chance to check it out Sunday afternoon. Pretty good turnout. Surprised to see how large an inventory so many of the dealers brought. Had a nice chat with the ANACS rep, I would have taken advantage of their show special but didn't bring the coins to submit.

9. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I always go to Annandale, both to buy and sell. I don't usually have enough inventory ready that would make a table worthwhile, so I do vest pocket sales to dealers. I sometimes sell to other show attendees, but only if I have it arranged in advance, and I sell to them only outside the bourse unless I have permission from a dealer to do a transaction at their table. Keep in mind this option. You don't need a table to sell.

tibor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted