First Strike/Early Release.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Long Beard, May 6, 2020.

1. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

While I understand the preference and subtle differences between third party graders I don't understand coins encapsulated as First Strike or Early Release. Is there any difference between an MS70 labeled as such and an otherwise "normal" strike of the same grade? What further baffles me is the premium these often carry. Are the fancy labels really worth the difference? I don't see the craze of these labels holding their value long term comparative to standard labeling. Not a wise investment at all especially on high mintage, common issue coins. It either is or it is not the assigned grade. The only logical conclusion would be some collect slabs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Your conclusion is sound. It is a very active field of exonumia, nothing more.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I stay away from those slabs.

Unless is a Mint Error I can purchase
    From my collection -
    25OBV.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Fake news...........

Robert Ransom and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They are just another gimmick to make money.

7. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

1st 25 to grading co.s get early release so if your buy lots of coins with no interest in the coin and submit you get a ebay coin to cut your submission cost. Still just a cup of coffee!

Robert Ransom likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Or mud........:)

David Betts and Robert Ransom like this.
  9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

The US Mints might start minting the 2021 ASE or any other coin in September. Then they are put in storage until release date. When they are released and sold they are pulled from storage and sent to packaging and distribution. Imagine the standard First In - Last Out inventory process. Since having say a 2020 ASE is nothing special. 20 million having one. I want mine to be special, more special than yours. Devise a gimmick that perceives mine to have been manufactured earlier than yours. The dies used for mine might have been newer so my coin is better than yours. Then have the mint boxes state the date of shipment. Now a TPG has some evidence to declare First Strike or Early Release. This makes my coin better than those of the other 20 million.

A big scam. There is only one "First Strike" and the mint keeps it. And, the inventory process prevents any designation other than "this is a new 2020 ASE"

JeffC, capthank, David Betts and 2 others like this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am going to wait for what they mist. First strikes are nothing more than Bull Pucky!

Robert Ransom likes this.
  11. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Maybe the "Coin Rage Forum" request is gaining traction? :)

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Author! Author!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Collecting Nut was the author. Lol

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. Silver Bull30

Silver Bull30 New Member

Yes sir you are correct, When it comes to Labels, They will NEVER carry more because one has a eagle on it and the next one has a picture of President Donald J Trump, or even as you mentioned "first strike" is almost down right DUMB to pay extra for the label, Remember The Real Value is in the physical metal in the coin and of course condition, The labels are another way for collectors to spend money, adding to the premiums they are already paying. If I buy modern graded bullion coins then it will be an American Eagle; but I almost always go with standard NGC labels, Once in a while I will get a Weinman Holder, or a black slab.This is a time if you are going to add any slabbed modern coins to your portfolio, this would be a smart time, I personally stay away from getting to much into modern Slabed coins, I mean when they are charging premiums like they currently are on a standard 2020 Silver Eagle for 25-30 bucks! With current events causing this,in some cases you cannot even find them but you can almost always find graded bullion so until things get back to as normal pick up that Proof Eagle,Birth year or like I suggest a 2020 that you have always been thinking about getting.Again I would select the coin & grade you want and pick the most common looking/least expensive label, That label is not changing that coin, It is protecting it and thats what grading was meant for not having 50 labels and be like pokemon "gota catch them all". This is all my OPINION and is in no way FINANCIAL
    Thanks have a great day!

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I bought a few real nice coins from Canada's mint and they were numbered. There are many other things that are for collectors that are issued a number. I guess those items are more important than others. I collected vinyl records from a company, Mobile Fidelity Original Master Recordings. Mobile Fidelity (MOFI) had made several masters and they would only make so many recordings from each master. Each recording had a number from which master it was made and another number recording the order that recording was made. Too bad that the Mint couldn't do that with the coins they make. Then the lowest number of the coin would really have a meaning.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  16. Inspector43

Adding more levels to the grading of coins poses an unfair advantage to the more powerful "collectors" and deteriorates the value of the lower grade coins of the typical collector. When I was young a VF coin would be an awesome and desirable coin for any collector. Now, in too many cases, they are frowned upon as inferior. Even what used to be BU is split in to so many subjective grades. All of the splitting and emphasis on the upper end stretches the actual value of the population. This, in turn, is encouraging new collectors to imitate those collectors that are more visible - the MS this and MS that we see on media.

I don't like the way the hobby is moving. We are telling new collectors that what they have and can have is not representative of the real collector. My coins are either Uncirculated or they are not.

john65999 likes this.
  17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Remember the 2019-S Deluxe Enhanced Reverse Inverse Executive President's Circle Club Level Proof ASEs with numbered COA last year? Just a matter of time before the coins get matching number.

john65999 likes this.
  18. Inspector43

Sounds like The Franklin Mint is taking over.

19. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

back when i was a wee lad of 10 and started collecting, then at 13 started selling at coin shows (me Da' would go and sell his stamps and stamp supplies), there were the grades basil to Au, then uncirculated, brilliant uncirculated and gem bu, and proof was just proof, now the numbering system has gotten pretty precise, and i fear that newer collectors will not be able to afford this hobby..making it again a hobby of kings...just look at the top prices being paid for regular common date coins, coins i sold for 20 cents to a half a dollar (gem bu)..now commanding 2 and three digit, and sometimes more prices..smh..this is why i got out of collecting 30 years ago..i sold almost 5000 silver dollars i had amassed, and 5 100 ounce bars and maybe another 200 one ouncers to buy my first house and just dabbled here and there when i could make a good purchase and sell for a profit...but a few months ago got back into collecting..and doing what i detested back then (speculating)..and going for those higher grade slabs....and the mint seems more like the post office more and more what with so many different designs being offered every year at exorbitant prices...

David Betts and Inspector43 like this.
  20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

by the way, sold all that silver for 7.25 on the dollar and 8,50 an ounce for the bullion, smh:banghead::banghead::banghead:

David Betts and Inspector43 like this.
  21. Inspector43

I have a very large collection of US Stamps and Coins. I have collected since 1948. I quit collecting stamps in 2000 because the USPS started printing wallpaper. Hundreds of new stamps each year, given the stamp and the configuration. In the same time frame the US Mint started manufacturing ballast. So many new coins and configurations. I had to stop that also. I stopped several of my subscriptions for coins and all my subscriptions for stamps. The USA Mint has completely lost focus. Their mission has changed so much that it is no longer recognizable.

Stop and think of how many coins come out. Just US Quarters alone amount to 35 or 40 per year. I don't know all the possibilities, so, I am just guessing.

Draft saved Draft deleted