First Spouse coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SilverStacks63, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Ok so i've been doing a little buying here and there and i recently bought a Jackie Kennedy coin for my mother. I like the fact that they are 24k but it doesn't seem like there is a real demand for them. I've seen some sights and ebay that you can buy the earlier one (i.e. '07's) for close to spot. Does anyone collect these. Good investment??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not too many guys collect 'em.......I bought the Jefferson, but that's it. I think @yakpoo still collects these. Lets see if we can get him into your thread.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

First who?

[ :) ]

5. green18

Heck, I know you don't collect 'em Frank. :)

6. leaconcen

leaconcen learning constantly

I collect the cheap bronze. The big thing though is that so many are not well rendered from pencil design to die. If they had been made better, they may have caught on. The same is true for the presidents dollar.

7. green18

I was doing that too Lea, for a time, but I fell off the wagon. I missed the 4 piece set offered by the mint (last year? Two years ago?) because they cut off sales early and when I saw the aftermarket prices I almost croaked.

8. leaconcen

I also missed that year, but lucked out and got it on the aftermarket for less than thirty dollars.

green18 likes this.
  9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've had a subscription for a proof and a business strike from the beginning. Yep, I'm going down with the ship. But it's all good, I'll have a good stash of scrap gold if the zombie apocalypse comes to town.

harris498 likes this.
  10. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Good idea, zombies should be easily distracted by shiny objects before getting to your braaains :)

I always thought this series would be a wise investment down the road, and know a lot of smart people that bought in! The only reason I didn't buy any was the cost. Right now I think what's going on is that the Mint seems to be coming out with a new "ultra rare" coin every few months which has made these seem a little less interesting.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Really I like the series, but I find it foolish that the mint didn't make the presidents gold. No disrespect to the First Ladies at all, but it just seems strange.

12. Exactly "Beer Lover"... You would think that the highest honor i.e. US President = Gold not a clad dollar!

13. Also i guess i need to buy a few cheep proof coins to throw off the zombies huh...???

14. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

Is 2016 the last year for these? Which one is last?

15. leaconcen

Think 2016 will be the last year and Betty Ford the last first lady.

16. I've read that although Nancy Reagan is still alive that they have already started looking at coin designs. I'm betting that they will end with her.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm waiting for the Second Spouse coin for Jackie to come out.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They are making the Reagan dollar so Nancy will be the last First Spouse coin.

While the authorizing legislation required the President to have been dead for two years, there was nothing in the law that prohibited living First Ladies from being appearing.

SilverStacks63 likes this.
  19. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The Nancy Reagan coin delay is caused by a dispute between the astrologers.

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted