First Solo Provincial ID

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Nov 17, 2019.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I picked this up in the junk pile at Harlan J. Berk's table at the Baltimore show yesterday. It was a reverse that I've seen before and I really like the design. I thought that it was perhaps Lucilla or Faustina II based on the bust and hair design but boy oh boy was I wrong haha.
    It took some hunting through RPC and learning Greek letters...but I am fairly confident that I have this one attributed correctly:

Crispina
    AE
    c. 179-180
    Attaea, Mysia
    Obverse: ΚΡΙⳞΠΕΙΝΑ ⳞΕΒΑⳞΤ, draped bust of Crispina, right
    Reverse: ΑΡΧ ΡοΥΦοc ΑΤΤΑΙΤΩΝ (Φ shaped as ·Ι·), bearded river-god (Makestos) reclining, left, embracing oak-tree, holding cornucopia.
    IMG-5120-removebg-preview.png

How'd I do?
    I feel like I don't see a lot of provincials on here. Let's see your favorites!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

You did FANTASTIC! Here is the listing in RPC (online).

Orielensis, furryfrog02 and Andres2 like this.
  4. furryfrog02

Yup! That's the one I found!

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Nice coin. And what a pleasure to dig and find the exact attribution! It made me think about the first provincial I ever bought :

Caracalla
    Alexandria Troas
    24 mm 8.75g 212-215 AD
    62A85D03-25C3-4934-924F-4FAC00B20494.jpeg

6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

furryfrog02, Nice score & detective work :D. I've bought a lot of nice coins from Harlan Berk over the years & anytime you can add his name to the provenance is a plus ;). The last object I purchased from Harlan Berk is pictured below. It's a Byzantine bronze Enkolpion, 9th-11th century, probably made in Constantinople, 119 mm long. Unfortunately one of the guide rings on the bottom was broken off when someone attempted to open it :(. Never the less it is a beautiful & important artifact. The front side depicts Jesus Christ, & the back side depicts the Virgin Mary.

Bronze Enkolpion 119 mm, 9th-11th cen. Jesus Christ.JPG Bronze Enkolpion 119 mm, 9th-11 cen. Virgin Mary.JPG Bronze Enkolpion opened. 119 mm.JPG

7. furryfrog02

That is a really great looking piece!
    There are some pretty interesting artifacts in the catalog that he gave me. All are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my price range. They sure are nice to look at though!

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Can anyone show a coin with Christ marked HC XC? We see IC XC, IS XS and (rarely?) IhS but H?
    rz0545fd2731.jpg rz0550bb0723.jpg

Johndakerftw and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My first Provincial came in 1987 which I find amazing since I collected Romans for over 20 years before that. I do not recall seeing as many reasonably priced ones back then.
    Nero, Koinon Macedon AE24
    pb0080bb0047.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted