First Roman Republic Pickup of the Year

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, May 23, 2015.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My collection has been going so Greek lately that it was only when I was recording this new pickup that I realized it was my very first Roman Republic coin purchased this year.

The Some-Dude-Running reverse seems a little mundane at first, but it drew my attention because it wasn't an RR type I'd seen before. The athletic motif may allude to a sporty ancestor of the moneyer, or perhaps to public games being held at the time. The athlete is shown running his victory lap, holding in one hand the palm branch given to a victor of the games while wearing in the other a cestus, marking him as a boxer. The cestus, a gladiatorial battle glove, is a play on the cognomen Cestianus, making this one of the punning types popular with the wittier moneyers of the Republic.

There are a few different control marks seen on this series (torch, discus, strigil), but all varieties appear to be quite rare. A bonus discovery made when doing online research was that my coin illustrates the type for Plaetoria 2 on Wildwinds. What really surprised me, though, was the $660 hammer price recorded for its previous auction outing (Freeman & Sear Mail Bid Sale 12, 28 October 2005)... surprising because I paid about $500 less than that for it. It may be a cheap thrill, but I think I'm going to go wave a palm branch and do a little victory lap now :).

Do share any coins you have that refer to athletic games or if you have any of the RR punning types.

upload_2015-5-23_18-6-30.png
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    L. Plaetorius L. f. Cestianus

AR Denarius
    3.9g, 17.3mm
    Rome mint, 67 BC
    Crawford 396/1b; Sydenham 792a; Plaetoria 2
    O: Diademed and draped bust of Juno Moneta right; MONETA downwards behind, [SC below chin].
    R: Victorious boxer running right, one hand holding a palm branch and the other wearing a cestus and trailing ribbons; L PLAETORI downwards behind, L F Q S C upwards before, torch below.
    Ex Andrew McCabe Collection
    Ex Freeman & Sear Mail Bid Sale 12, 28 October 2005

Notes: Here's what a Roman cestus (circa 1st - 2nd centuries AD) would have looked like worn on the hand of a gladiatorial combatant. Vicious!
    upload_2015-5-23_18-7-56.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I Think that's a fabulous pick-up.......even without the humongous 'savings' from the previous hammer price you mentioned. It's got all the unusual or untypical content that I truly love and has so much to say to those who make any attempt to 'read' it. And that is a VERY nasty cestus!!

Unfortunately, my RR coins are either from un-athletic moneyers or slow-witted ones since there's no effort at any play on words......so I'm 'punless' as well----or perhaps there are and I'm the slow-witted one who hasn't noticed yet LOL

4. zumbly

Thanks, Mikey. It's always great to be able to find and snag one of these unusual RR types.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Winna-winna!!

Wow, Z-Bro => that RR is a very cool addition to your awesome collection (and you're correct, I don't recall seeing one of those before? ... bonus points)

Yah, snagging an auction-coin for less than you anticipated is always a super sweet feeling!! (congrats, brother)

:rolleyes:

Oh, and yes again => that "boxing-glove" looks like it might shorten the length of the fights?!! (*ouch*)

zumbly likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very cool!!

Maybe Clio is the former owner. [​IMG]

Mikey Zee, zumbly and stevex6 like this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's a magnificent coin, Z. Congratulations on a great price!

zumbly likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm jealous. Very nice coin. The only RR coin I have with a play on words is a poor quality Pansa Denarius:
    C VIBIUS CF CN PANSA CAETRONIANUS.jpg
    C VIBIUS CF CN PANSA CAETRONIANUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS VIBIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Mask of Pan right, PANSA below
    REVERSE: IOVIS AXVR before, C VIBIVS C F C N behind, Jupiter Axurus seated left
    Rome 48 BC
    5.6, 18mm
    Cr449/1a; Syd 947; Vibia 18

dlhill132, Eng, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  9. zumbly

Thanks for the compliments, friends. I'm particularly fond of these scarce little survivors that make it down to us through the ages, especially if they have an interesting story to tell. This one is a keeper!
    I want one of these too!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. zumbly

upload_2015-5-23_21-5-37.jpeg

Ancientnoob, chrsmat71 and TIF like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have no running types but great coin.

zumbly likes this.
  12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very cool republican Z, i don't remember seeing the type before.

zumbly likes this.
  13. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

What a great coin, I haven't seen the type before.

zumbly likes this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Fantastic denarius! Great historical info. Thank you! Envious of the great find.

zumbly likes this.
  15. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Yes Z, most awesome coin, great details and great reverse to boot...:)

zumbly likes this.
  16. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Pamphylia, Aspendos c. BC 370-330
    AR Stater 24 mm x 10.05 grams
    Obv: Two Greco wrestlers nude arm control. A PH
    Rev: Slinger / Trisklion (perpetual legs) device. Native Aspendos Text.

AspendosWrestlers.jpg

Mikey Zee, chrsmat71, TIF and 5 others like this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice!

zumbly likes this.
  18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

An appropriate course of action for the best kind of thrill. Excellent coin and even better the second time through.

stevex6 and zumbly like this.
  19. zumbly

Thanks for the comments, everyone. The past year and a half has really opened my eyes to how interesting RRs can be (thanks in no small part to the coins shown here on Cointalk).

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted