First Roman NewPs for 2015!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by RaceBannon, Jan 3, 2015.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I took a little break from coin buying in December. So this weekend I decided to get together with my local ancient dealer and make up for lost time:D. He's been scooping up inventory and hitting the shows like a madman, and had several hundred new coins that he didn't have in his inventory when we last sat down in November.

I fell in love with these two coins despite the obvious surface problems on each. I suspect the Trajan sestertius spent some time in the ground as it has some serious pitting issues and the Agrippa also has some major surface corrosion, but I still really liked these two. I feel the details are still pretty clear on both coins. Agrippa is one I've wanted for a while.

Post your Trajan or Agrippa coins.

Trajan; 98-117 AD
    AE Sestertius; 32mm/25.3g
    OBV: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC PMTRP COS VI P Laureate Bust Draped R
    REV: SENATVS POPVLVS ROMANVS FORTRED SC in exergue; Fortuna Redux seated L holding cornucopia and rudder
    (RIC 652, Cohen 158)
    DSC05248.JPG DSC05250.JPG

Agrippa; 37-41 AD
    Struck under Caligula
    AE As; 30mm/11.2g, Rome mint
    OBV: M AGRIPPA L F COS III, Head L wearing rostral crown
    REV: Neptune Standing L holding small dolphin and trident; SC in fields
    (RIC I 58, Cohen 3)
    DSC05255.JPG DSC05258.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The Agrippa looks great. An iconic coin.

RaceBannon likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You are right about the details outweighing the surface issues. Depending on price, I would most definitely add these to my collection.

This is one of my favorite Trajan. It too has some surface problems:
    Trajan6_OBV_opt.jpg Trajan6_REV_opt.jpg
    TRAJAN AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P laureate, draped
    REVERSE: COS V P P SPQR OPTIMO PRINC – DAC CAP in ex. Dacian seated r. on pile of arms, his hands bound behind him.
    Struck at Rome, 103-111 AD 2.8g, 18mm
    RIC 96

And then there is Agrippa. It had BD which I cured but not before it damaged the surface:
    Agrippa2 REV (2)_opt.jpg Agrippa2 REV (1)_opt.jpg
    AGRIPPA AE As
    OBVERSE: M AGRIPPA L F COSIII - Head left, wearing rostral crown REVERSE: No legend - Neptune standing left, holding dolphin and trident; S C across fields
    Rome 37-41 AD
    11.0g, 28mm
    RIC58, BMC 161, BN77, C3

randygeki, Gil-galad, Eng and 3 others like this.
  5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nice stuff y'all. ;)

RaceBannon likes this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

yessss => wow, those are two sweet coins, Bannon (congrats)

The Agrippa is very cool (hopefully the skin-problems won't continue to get worse ... I love the way that the coin looks at the moment, but obviously wouldn't want those surface issues to continue) ...... oh, and the Trajan has super eye-appeal ...

=> two total winna-winnas!!

... here are a couple of my sweet Trajans ...

Trajan & Tyche.jpg Trajan Dupondius.jpg

randygeki, Gil-galad, Eng and 3 others like this.
  7. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Wow Bing. Those are great. I love the reverse on your Trajan and the portrait on the Agrippa is just stunning. He's got the most manly Roman profile. Looks like a warrior.

Bing likes this.
  8. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Sweet indeed Steve! Love the reverse on that dupondius. Nice.

stevex6 likes this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice way to start off 2015. The Agrippa has great detail!

RaceBannon likes this.
  10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Cool coins. I'm still learning but on the second coin, is that the effect of BD? or is that something else?

RaceBannon likes this.
  11. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very nice Race, good start to 2015!!!!:)

RaceBannon likes this.
  12. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I think those tumor like lesions on Agrippa's face and neck could be the result of bronze disease, although I suspect someone tried to treat it at some point.

Here's a great link on the topic from classical coins:

http://www.classicalcoins.com/bronze_disease.html

Any other forum members care to weigh in with an opinion?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I like the Trajan very much - it's an honest coin, and I would prefer an example like that to one that's been overly tooled and smoothed. I'm on the fence about Agrippa - yes, there's a good coin there, with some very strong details. But it's a bit too crusty for my taste. If you can see past the crustiness to the real virtues of the coin, it just proves that you're a better man than I.

14. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Funny you mention that. Part of the issue for me is that often these coins look completely different in hand than they do once exposed to the light and high detail of modern HD photography. That Agrippa didn't look quite so crusty in hand as it does in the photos. Here's the same Trajan, taken with a flash. The pitting is much more evident in this photo. Moral of the story, I need to take my loupe/light with me when I shop.
    DSC05247.JPG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Bing and Gil-galad like this.
  15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I know what you mean. In ordinary room light most coins look much more subtle. But in order to take good pics, you've got to light them well, and then the differences between the various textures look far more contrasted than natural.

It must be nice to have a local coin dealer that you can visit and make a few buys. I've got nothing like that here. Well...CNG is just up the road, but I don't think you can just go knock on their door and ask to see some coins.

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Sweet coins, and that flan on the Agrippa, nice! It's nice to find coins locally. There's a nice Trajan denarius I'm trying to decide on weather to get or not at my local shop. I got this one form my local shop, hard to snap a good pic of too.

321356_513921868644729_989151575_n.jpg

Bing, zumbly and RaceBannon like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted