First Peace Dollar 1921-How did I do?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by timewaster1700, Feb 15, 2019.

?

How did I do?

1. Looks good, keep it

2. Poor decision, send it back

3. Eh, need more photos when you get it in person to decide

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Is there a die gouge below the L in Pluribus? Or just the picture making it look like one? Not listed so, A new VAM?

timewaster1700 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Much better strike than usual. Lots of luster. I’d keep it for now until you find an upgrade as I think even for the strong price you’ll ge out even or ahead. I see an awful lot of 21 peace dollars that are plain ugly

4. Uh there is a small gouge in the coin but I don't know how to tell if it a die gouge or something else caused it.

Thanks for your input! I agree I've seen a lot of ugly 1921's

5. Michael Scarn

Michael Scarn Member

I believe a mark on a coin caused by a gouge/scratch in a die shows on the coin as a raised mark whereas a gouge/scratch/damage to the coin after minting shows as a depression (possibly also creating a raised area due to movement of metal but always creating a depressed area).

6. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Sorry, the picture I looked at made it look like a die gouge, which would have caused an elevated metal deposit on the coin, not a mark in the coin. One of the other pictures made it clear it's a bag mark.

7. Yes it is a depression. Thanks for the clarification. Learned something new!

8. Well I regret to inform you all I will be returning this coin. There was so much I liked about it but the more I look at it, all I can see is the rinse spotting popping out at me. It just bugs me and I can't seem to overlook it and the more I look at it the more that in particular pops out above everything else. Thank you all for chiming in and helping me see the spotting on it. It will make me extra aware for the next one I hunt down. Just seeing one in person I feel like has been very educational.

Draft saved Draft deleted