First Peace Dollar 1921-How did I do?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by timewaster1700, Feb 15, 2019.

?

How did I do?

1. Looks good, keep it

2. Poor decision, send it back

3. Eh, need more photos when you get it in person to decide

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I agree that this coin has above-average luster and eye-appeal. It's a nice strike as well.

As far as toning, be wary of a toned Peace dollar. Unlike the Morgan dollars, Peace dollar planchets were prepared differently and they were stored differently at the Mint, causing them not to exhibit the rainbow toning Morgan dollars are more renown for. Your coin has light, golden toning that is expected with this coin. Great coin, and worth a slight premium, in my opinion.

On the issue of toning, David Hall, founder and former president of PCGS, wrote: "Toning is not uncommon and is light to heavy golden." Any Peace dollar "that has any rainbow colors (blue, red, green, etc) is absolutely artificially toned. While not very scientific, my approach to toning on coins is to remember the colors I saw in the 1960's and 1970's and if a new look appears, it's artificial to me." (David Hall's comments on 1921 Peace dollars in PCGS Coin Facts.)

timewaster1700 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Exactly. Most who will criticize what you gave, don't own one themselves because they wouldn't give that for any coin.

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I own three of them. Speak for yourself. Anybody who discusses money here opens themselves to criticism on whether or not the money invested to buy it was worth it.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have paid up quite a few times, whether it was a learning experience. Or because I really like the coin and felt it was worth the premium. It's all part of the learning process.

6. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice '21 to me. Keep it.

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I don't ask people whether I should buy, or keep a coin - that is a personal decision. You will never be happy with a coin if your happiness depends on others' decisions.

8. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I own 2 myself and have never called anyone out on what they collect or what they have in what they collect. There are a bunch here who will and do. If that's not you then I wasn't speaking of you.

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I think you did well. I agree with your assessment on the strike. I'll be curious to hear your comments about the luster once you have it in hand.

10. wornslick

wornslick Junior Member

I also think you did well. It has nice strike and hopefully nice luster in hand. If you're happy that's all that matters, if not you can always send it back.

11. Thanks everyone for chiming in I greatly appreciate it.

The first picture posted is the TrueView picture.

I appreciate you looking out for me. I actually wanted to open myself to some criticism because I want to learn from others who have been doing this longer. I do realize I technically overpaid. But I have also found the 1921 to be an incredibly difficult coin to find that is well struck, doesn't have distracting marks on liberty's face, and has lots of luster. So I guess I'll find out soon if this meets those criteria.

I think I remember reading about the rainbow toning on these being extremely rare or fake. I think I'll primarily stick to the white and golden toned peace dollars to be safe.

I agree my happiness in a coin shouldn't be based on others but I figure the more I collect these the more I will learn and there is a possibility that my assessment could change in the future as I learn more so I figured why not get some other more experienced collector's opinions on this coin and see if I was at least in the ballpark of picking a nice specimen.

Thanks everyone. I should have the coin tomorrow evening. I'll update when I get it in hand.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of people that would like to take it off of your hands.

13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

IMO, you have to be careful with TrueView's. They are taken to make the coin look it's best. Sometimes in hand, they are quite different.

I don't think you technically overpaid. Finding a '21 with good hair definition, few distracting marks and nice luster is not easy. When you find one, you buy it. I bought my '64 for $822 4 years ago and I think your hair definition is slightly better than mine. IMO, you will pay more for coins with great/exceptional eye appeal and a good/strong technical grade. Once you get good connections in the hobby, it's possible to get better pricing, but when you're starting out, you don't have that advantage.

timewaster1700 and Two Dogs like this.
  14. I got the coin in today! I'll have to post more pics later. Basically I really like it! No distracting marks on Liberty. She looks beautiful. Nice luster but not overly strong which is probably the reason its a 64 vs 65. The hair has maybe a bit less detail than I'd like but gosh this is a tough year to get a good strike and I still believe this is a well stuck 1921. When I look at it as a whole the lack of full hair detail is not distracting but when I nitpick I notice it. The brown areas in the above pictures are WAY less noticeable in person. The "Splotchy" sort of change in color on the edges is more noticeable in person but really just when analyzing it carefully. I don't know if this is an artifact from a dip or if this is an uneven pattern of tarnishing. The Reverse is simply incredible. The Eagle looks so well detailed and there is like one small mark on him that's not very distracting. Overall very pleased with this acquisition. Not a perfect coin, none of these are. But a very beautiful one and I think a good one to start off my Peace dollar collection with. Thanks everyone for chiming in on this thread. I'll try to get up some more pictures tomorrow.

15. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Excellent! Sounds like another happy ending!

Looking forward to the updated pics. :happy::happy::happy:

16. Ok here's the updated pictures. I think it looks better in person than in pictures personally. Its clearly not a perfect coin though. I would welcome additional scrutiny at this point. Perhaps my excitement is blinding me to something.
    IMG_3301.jpg IMG_3302.jpg IMG_3303.jpg IMG_3304.jpg IMG_3305.jpg IMG_3306.jpg IMG_3307.jpg

I took all these pictures under a light which I feel like it makes I look worse than it appears in person.

Michael Scarn likes this.
  17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Your coin has some of the improper rinse spotting I talked about earlier. You can see it in the obverse fields around "In God We" and on other areas of the coin.

The luster looks strong for a '21 and the hair is nicely defined (for a '21). When you're buying coins from seller pictures, It's always nice when you get the coin in hand and you still like it. Congrats!

18. Gotcha I kind of wondered if that was what that was. Do you think it would make more sense to send this back and continue the search? Is rinse spotting something a professional cleaning from PCGS would remove?

19. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I hope someone else can answer the question about whether conservation would remove that on the coin. I cannot with any certainty.

Do you like the coin? If yes, then keep it. I think there are a lot of positives on the coin you chose. Like you posted earlier, you can nit pick every coin.

If it were me, I'd hold on to the coin. I'd continue to look for a replacement, but you could also start buying some of the more common Philly minted coins to continue your education.

20. I was definitely planning on continuously looking at 1921's as I collect the others just because this is such a challenging date to get a good coin. I'll do somemore thinking about it. I do think in person its a very pretty coin but the rinse spots are a little distracting when you flash it around in the light.

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

You can find '21's on sale everyday, so just be patient on the next one. They are not scarce. You know what to look for, the hardest part is the patience. ;)

Oh, and BTW, patience is hard for me too, but it pays off in the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted