First known? 1999 Georgia Statehood struck on Nickel Planchet

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CharlesNC, Nov 6, 2011.

1. CharlesNC

CharlesNC Member

From the little bit of research I have done, ZERO of this error are known, and very few other Statehood Errors of this type are known. This one, has an added bonus however, and I wanted some opinions as to the possible ballpark value of this example. The reverse of the quarter actually has remnants of the E PLURIBUS UNUM stamp from a nickel. Have a look.. And for informations sake, the edge of this coin is solid with no copper. I would also need some direction from someone on how to have this certified by PCGS, ANACS, or maybe another recommended grading service?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

PCGS no question. Maybe NGC but definitly not ANACS

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Oh man, that is sweet. Hope that helps :)

5. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I'd recommend going with either PCGS or NGC. If you're not a member the easiest way would be to submit the coin through a coin dealer.

One thing though, with Pluribus showing on the reverse, that should make it a double denomination error, not a wrong planchet error. I'm not too familiar with the grading companies requirements for these types of errors, but I would think the under-struck Pluribus should be enough proof.

6. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

Ok...so I'm going to ask someone to explain this one to me.

This can't be a quarter struck on a nickel PLANCHET, can it? A planchet is a "plain metal disk from which a coin is made". Clearly, this metal disk was not a plain nickel planchet...it had, obviously, already been struck as a nickel.

Doesn't that then make this an "overstrike", of a quarter onto an already struck nickel? If that's the case...how's that happen? Obviously one wouldn't think a nickel makes its way from that press over to the quarter press, unless a mint employee does it on purpose...???

The only other option would seem to be that somehow the quarter's reverse die got modified somehow to include that small portion of the nickel's reverse design...something I can't begin to imagine being possible.

By all means...I'm nowhere NEAR knowledgeable enough about errors, or even the minting process, to assert that this coin is, or isn't, anything at all. I'm simply asking from a position of ignorance how something like this could happen within the mint process.

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Have you weighed your coin? If it was struck on a nickel (or a nickel planchet) it should weigh 5 grams.

8. gboulton

I see Raider and I were posting at the same time, and he has clearly given it a more accurate name than I.

Still curious how it can happen though.

9. CharlesNC

CharlesNC Member

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance, or means to weigh it, just got it today. The solid silver color
    edge gave it away as a nickel, whether it be on a nickel planchet, or over a nickel. The weight issues was another reason for wanting it graded.

10. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

...did you get this in your change?

11. CharlesNC

CharlesNC Member

Not QUITE that lucky. Bought a mixture of old/error coins from a friend getting out of collecting (says he's "too old" for it), and there it was, along with many many other errors. This one just struck me as the most unusual. The rest are double strikes, broadstrikes, brackage, off center, etc.

12. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

This figures to be a nice error, hopefully you gave your friend a good price, you're looking at a nearly four figure coin here from what I'm guessing.

13. CharlesNC

CharlesNC Member

We'll just say I paid him very well. LoL. I appreciate the optimism, and hope you're correct. 2011 red book has it at $1,000, and not ever seeing another in existence? (so far)

14. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

As to how this can happen: The nickels come off the end of the line into a large hopper and then are moved from there to a counting machine for bagging. One nickel gets stuck in a seam of the hopper. The hopper is then used to move blank quarter planchets to the quarter line. The struck nickel comes free with the quarter planchets and goes through the quarter line and gets struck again.

15. gboulton

That makes sense. Had no idea the same hoppers would be moved from press to press, I guess I figured they were attached to the machine and loaded by...heck, I don't know...magic maybe. :)

16. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It's the first double denomination error I've seen involving a Georgia quarter struck over a struck nickel. A great rarity that's undoubtedly worth several thousand dollars.

17. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

18. CharlesNC

CharlesNC Member

Now that's the optimism I want to have! Any idea what auctions would be best to put it in? I definitely want to avoid eBay with something like this. It should be going off to PCGS today. I'm not even positive it's going anywhere once I get it back, but never hurts to have options.

19. CharlesNC

CharlesNC Member

Well, it seems getting an error coin to PCGS is an act of congress. No one in my area offers the service for one coin, and when signing up for PCGS, the vouchers with the membership don't cover error coins. I'm starting to wonder if NGC may be a better bet? Would someone that has done this before mind giving a novice a walkthrough or helping hand? I'm getting lost.

20. newone

newone Member

Very cool coin! This is just an idea, maybe you could contact an auction house such as Heritage and if they feel that the coin will bring enough dough they might help you through the grading process? I bet they have the connections to get it in a PCGS slab and on the auction block or advise to lead you on the best route.

21. CharlesNC

CharlesNC Member

Probably the best idea I've seen/thought of/heard yet. Thank you for the advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted