First gold coin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RhinoEmpire, Feb 15, 2009.

1. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Hey gang - I am thinking about buying my first gold coin. Any recommendations? I was thinking about the double eagle from the mint or the 2006 buffalo, but I don't know where to start. Thoughts, suggestions? Coins to avoid?>

Budget is 1000-1300 Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KomkaCoins

KomkaCoins Member

Eagles are easy to buy and sell and they have a reasonable premium. My opinion would be they are the best. You get into Pandas and Kugs. you may find dealers not willing to pay anything over spot or worse...even 98% of spot. My 2 cents....Eagle Fractional gold is good too. -Wes

4. Speeddemon1o5

Speeddemon1o5 Junior Member

Have you thought about older US gold?

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Buy a book first. Do some research. Get one slabbed by a reputable tpg.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

My first gold was a raw 1924 saint gaudins (considered common) ended up grading ms-64 at pcgs.
    If it was my money i would spend a little more for a common date saint, they can be had for as low as $1400 slabbed. its worth it imo.
    Careful about getting the gold bug, its a hard one to shake ;)

7. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

look at older double eagles if you like the older original coins. If you want bullion either buy a south african kugarand. I think they are the best for just bullion. The new UHR double eagle might be a good buy, too early to tell, but it might be worth the risk.

8. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

Prosperity set

If you want something that will appreciate these should.
    The buffalo is no longer made, or the 1/2 oz liberty.
    A while after they sell out you should see where the chips fall.
    Old coins are great to have but I would not touch one that had not been authenticated. I have some but they moved from one member of my family to another over the last 100 years .

9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

If you just want gold bullion, any 1 oz bullion coin will do.

If you want an eyecatching gold coin, get one of the recent US Mint bullion coins in DCAM -68 or -69. You don't need a -70 to dazzle your friends and family.

If you want something that should do better than bullion, then you go for something like a St G.
    I got a common date No Motto in -64 for $800 and a common date Motto in -63 for $750.
    Of course you can't get them for that now BUT in the 2-3 years I've had them they've almost doubled in price.
    THAT'S what a reasonable numismatic gold coin can do for you.

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

If you buy a common date $20 liberty, slabbed of course, you'll probably never regret it. If you want something less expensive, some of the gold commemoratives from the 1980s are good looking coins available for prices close to melt value.

11. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I agree with those that say buy older gold. For usually the same price as modern day bullion you can have something with a bit history and a lot of character. Go old.
    Guy~

12. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

totally agree. you can get an AU or low end MS $20 double eagle for a rather small premium over melt. As a matter of fact, they are right around the same price as a 1 ounce buffalo, maybe just ever so slightly more expensive. What's even better is, if you feel so inclined, you can continue on to complete a gold type set with the smaller denominations. All of them can be had in mid grade for not too much over melt. Now you have coins with both numismatic value and bullion value. You can't go wrong with that IMO. Just make sure they are authenticated appropriately, or come from a trusted dealer.

Draft saved Draft deleted