First Fouree!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I have been looking for fouree for awhile.. hoping to find one of the Republic that fit my budget and was in good shape. Something that would be a really cool example to add to my collection.
    Really excited to pick this one up!!!

Now I will be on the look out for the "official" version of this very coin. Be great conversation pieces and hold a prominent place in my little collection.

Fouree.jpg

154 BC - Roman Republic. C Scribonius Fouree Denarius
    Obverse: Roma right
    Reverse: Dioscuri galloping right, C SCR below, ROMA in exergue
    Size: 18.77mm
    Weight: 2.48 grams

Please post your fourees or ....I would love to see some examples of the official version of this coin. Cheers!!

dlhill132, Orfew, chrsmat71 and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice pick-up. I have an as of his -
    C.SCR As obv.jpg C.SCR As rev ArtAst 2014.jpg

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Fourrees are fun, I think every collection should have at least one (didn't mean for that to rhyme :shame:). To that end, I picked up my first fourree before I even knew what a fourree was :shame::shame:.

Marcus Aurelius - Mars Fourree.jpg

A cut fourree stater of Neapolis hideous in more ways than one...
    Campania Neapolis - Fourree Stater Cut 2126.jpg

dlhill132, chrsmat71, ominus1 and 7 others like this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

IMO the best fourree for a single representative of the genre need to show some core exposure but not randomly scattered to make the coin ugly AND a trace of the seam where the overlapping silver foil sheets failed to join completely. The Augustus below has spots of core on the horses but the obverse is intact witha seam running a little way in from the outside edge.
    rb0860bb0375.jpg

The Antony legionary below shows much more core exposure and edge failure and there is darkness seeping out of the seam around the ship. I really like the minor core wear through on the high points of some letters like RP at obverse bottom. ra8470bb0097.jpg

On the other hand, it is harder to love a fourree that lost the silver over the most important parts. As Antony portrait coins go, this is terrible. It appears that the smaller foil circle on the obverse fell off completelt while the larger one that wrapped over the edges from the reverse was very tight.
    ra8200bb0393.jpg

dlhill132, chrsmat71, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I wanted an example that was attractive, displayed the skill of the forger and showed enough copper to make the fact that it is a fouree obvious.
    Who really knows - but I think my example circulated a good long time before it was found out.

8. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I've never sought out fourree coins, but a few have come my way. It is astonishing how good the workmanship is on some of them. Here is a denarius of Trajan. The colors didn't come out - the contrast between the core and the plating is dramatic:
    Trajan fourree 2017 (2).JPG
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

dlhill132, chrsmat71, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

c norbanus 20170027 side.jpg I have a few, I like this one:
    Coin type: Roman Republican
    Entered by: pishpash
    Added on: Nov 2, 2017
    Authenticity: Fouree
    Moneyer: C. Norbanus
    Coin: AR Denarius Fouree
    LXXXX C NORBANVS - Diademed head of Venus right
    - Grain-ear, fasces and caduceus.
    Mint: (83 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.56g / 20mm / -
    References:
    • Sydenham 739
    • Norbana 2
    • c norbanus 20170027 0bv.jpg
    • c norbanus 20170027 rev.jpg

dlhill132, chrsmat71, TIF and 4 others like this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..there ya go...i'm from the same school of thought as @zumbly on fourees..at least one or two in the collection..:)

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I like the way you show the edge and silver thickness.

A Julia Domna fourree:
    [​IMG]

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Those are nice. I like when you can make them out some what easy

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That's a cool fouree @Clavdivs ! I had one of these on my list for quite a while before I picked this one up.

100_7875_zpsfk0uteeu.jpg

Roman Republic, Fourée Denarius imitating L. Thorius Balbus.

2.8g, 19mm, 3h; after 105 BC. Obv.: Head right of Juno Sospita, wearing goat-skin headdress; I. S. M. R. behind. Rev.: L.THORIVS // BALBVS; Bull charging right; S above. Reference: cf. Sear 192; Thoria 1; Cr. 316/1; Syd. 598. From the Doug Smith Collection #387

Love those cool edge shots by the way!

Draft saved Draft deleted