First ever PCGS Submission

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bambam8778, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I have finally decided to bite the bullet after many years of collecting and purchase a PCGS membership. My father and I are going to submit some of my grandfathers Morgan Silver Dollars (definitley worth grading) and I have a few that I am on the fence on sending in. Some Cherios cents and Indian Head cent. I am asking for any tips and suggestions on submitting coins to PCGS and any past experiences you have had that I should be on the look out for. I really appreciate your experience with this and am looking forward to your responses!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think the Cheerios cents are worth it unless you think it's
    going to be some really good/high number. Good luck.

Paul M. and Bambam8778 like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

@C-B-D submits tons of coins to TPGs and should be able to offer advice.

My personal advice is that if the coin isn't a high value or super high grade, most coins could be adequately stored in an airtite or plastic case without the costs of submissions.

dwhiz, NSP, Randy Abercrombie and 3 others like this.
  5. Bambam8778

I have 2 and I think they are 67 or higher which would make it just worth it. I'm mostly looking for tips on submitting or things to look out for when doing so to avoid common errors. Thanks!

6. Bambam8778

The Morgans are for sure worth submitting. My grandfather was very skilled in grading and numismatics. One area I hope to learn. I wish he was still around to glean from his knowledge.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'll have to take your word for it, since you've provided no information to let me judge. I've only submitted to NGC, so I'm afraid I can't be much of help.

Don't be afraid to reach out to PCGS themselves and ask them the best/cheapest method of submitting. https://www.pcgs.com/news/tips-and-advice-from-pcgs-customer

Bambam8778 and C-B-D like this.
  8. Bambam8778

How about NGC reccomendations as well? I went with PCGS based on my reading both their websites. I may have missed something. Why do you go with NGC over PCGS?

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I will say that as of this moment, NGC is much faster than PCGS, (and cheaper as always), and PCGS has started playing their "questionable color" game again, which they were doing in the early winter months, nuking normal color progressions. Best of luck. The memberships to either service is worth it. Basically you get one free submission if you buy the platinum membership with an 8 coin voucher.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I included two Cheerios cents to ANACS quite some time ago. They were a throw in with better coins. Both came back MS67 and both sold for $50.00 each on ebay which helped greatly in mitigating my costs for the others. I just found another at a local flea market for 50 cents and will send with my next submission. It's a game with these as I cannot see the reverse or if it's a wide AM or not, as with the others, and submit sealed in their packaging for provenance.

Bambam8778 and Islander80-83 like this.
  11. Bambam8778

Hoping for a wide AM!

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Bambam8778 likes this.
  13. robec

robec Junior Member

I don't understand the "cheaper as always" quote.

Regular submission for a coin with a value up to $3000 is $35 per coin at both PCGS and NGC

Modern is $16 at PCGS and $17 at NGC - Morgans don't qualify here

Economy ($300 and under) is $22 at PCGS and $20 at NGC - so yes they are cheaper here by $2

Shipping is higher with NGC. 1-5 coins with a value of up to $1000 is $24 with NGC. PCGS is 1-4 coins with a value of up to $1000 is $22

NGC - 6-15 coins value up to $5000 - $30
    PCGS - 5-25 coins value up to $5000 - $33

Both have $10 handling fee.

It looks to me like the difference is negligible.

14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I only send to ANACS when there is a special. $8-$10 a coin, sometimes with a couple of freebies thrown in. Not always the fastest though, as these are usually on the economy tier and most of my subs are varieties which is extra turnaround time. If I used the other two I would likely sell faster but I'm a patient person. They do have good customer service.

Bambam8778 and Islander80-83 like this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have a few things to think about.
    First, I would look for any signs of PVC. That's easy to clean up if caught early but a waste of money if it's too late and the coin won't straight grade.
    Second, If you join the ANA, you can send coins to NGC without joining NGC. You still have to pay for the grading but being a member of ANA may give you something that would be useful.
    With that said, that gives you three options. PCGS, NGC or the ANA. The grading cost per coin is going to be about the same between the options and you will have to join again each year.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Why not post pictures of what you plan on submitting here, so that we may give guidance specific to your coins?

Bambam8778, tommyc03, NSP and 3 others like this.
  17. Bambam8778

I don’t need specific guidance on coins that I wish to submit (i mispoke previously) I’m looking for tips or best practices for submitting coins to PCGS. My apologies

18. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Follow their instructions when preparing the order. Use the appropriate level of service for the coin. Package securely with rubber bands inside the package, not tape. I'm not aware of any "tricks" that will get you faster turnaround or better grades.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

PCGS will send you a member packet. It should be filled with great information. As messydesk said, follow the instructions.
    Be sure to insure the package for what you feel it is worth. A lot of folks have a hard time of putting a value on each coin. I insure for an amount based on the grade I feel it will receive.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

NGC is also cheaper in their Mint Error service and Variety Plus. That, combined with economy service is what I use mostly, so it's always cheaper than PCGS for me. (Plus, time is money, and since they're faster at this time, well... ;)).

NovembersDoom6, Bambam8778 and furham like this.
  21. robec

robec Junior Member

The OP isn't doing the same as you. For what he is looking to have graded he won't be using error or variety plus service, plus he isn't looking to have his coins graded for his coin business so "time is money" is irrelevant.

baseball21 and Bambam8778 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted