First Draped Bust Silver Coin - 1806 Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Omegaraptor, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

This one I posted on another thread, but I think it deserves its own. I believe I am up to 10 1796-98 Draped Bust Large Cents at this point, but in the 10 years I have been collecting I never went and bought a Draped Bust silver coin.

Then I was offered this for $120. The coin is a bit beat up but the details were simply too nice to pass up for what is basically Fair-2 money.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interestingly early quarters feel a lot more like 2 Reales than they feel like modern quarters, moreso than other early denominations. They are quite a bit larger in diameter and thinner. Now that I have one of these I would love to see a 1796 in hand.

The variety on this one is B-9. A common but visually interesting variety that develops a large bisecting obverse die crack in the late states. Hope you enjoy this coin.

NSP, numist, lordmarcovan and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sweet pick up Flip ...You're one of the sharpest YN's I know...and sometimes we old collector's need to take a lesson from these younger ones.
    Congrats my friend...your a true leader for others to follow.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'm surprised more of the coins from the 1800's don't look like this.

5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Not bad shape for being 218 years old. Hope I look that good when I'm 90 or so. God's not looking is he? Thanks for sharing your win @Omegaraptor

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Draped Bust silver is tough stuff, and nice to have in any condition!

Draft saved Draft deleted