Featured First Coin Show Writeup

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by IBetASilverDollar, Apr 28, 2018.

1. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@IBetASilverDollar , congrats on your successful show. I went last year. I went on Thursday. I too had a blast. I was looking only for Peace Dollars and left the show without buying anything. I came close to acquiring one, but the dealer I was working with wouldn't come down to a more reasonable level. He had it priced well above market and IMO, it wasn't worth it. He was valuing the "+" as if it was well into the next grade.

I went to the Heritage lot viewing as well. It was pretty fun. It was crowded too.

After I bought my first large cent for my type set, I've added a few others. If I ever finish my Peace Dollar set, I might start on a large cent set. I also might get more serious about Capped Bust Halves too. Not sure.

The luster on both your coins look fantastic. Love them both.

IBetASilverDollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Thanks! I saw a lot of awesome Peace dollars but all of them were crazy money. The guy wanting $1k for a common Roosie had a lot of Peace dollars with great color you don't see often but not in budget that's for sure.

I actually went in looking for an Indian quarter eagle as my main target and walked out with another Liberty Head one instead. I looked at about 50 indian quarter eagles in 64/64+/65 (I thought that grade range would have the luster I'm after) and liked none of them. That's why I like the Liberty series more, if anyone can find an Indian head that pops like my Liberty above let me know cause I sure can't!

JPeace$ likes this.
  4. IBetASilverDollar

Also unrelated I forgot to say I'm like 98% sure I saw your old Star WLH @heavycam.monstervam (I think it was yours) was it a 46-S in NGC 64*?

5. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Its funny how, even after being pulled from circulation, collectible coins still circulate from dealer to collector to dealer to collector.
    Ive spotted quite a few of my old coins at shows and even on ebay from time 2 time.

6. IBetASilverDollar

He was asking 850 for it. Forget exactly which dealer it was. And yeah those late S mint strikes are atrocious

7. heavycam.monstervam

Do you remember how much they were asking? I sold it too cheap but it was a bit dark and had a terrible strike plus that gash in the right field & i needed $$ at the time.

Oops quote / reply fail.

8. heavycam.monstervam

Wouldnt be surprised if he gets it too, NGC *star Walkers are tough to find. Im not sure it really deserved a star though. The toning on it, especially up around the rim was questionable and a cause for concern imo

9. IBetASilverDollar

Yeah it definitely didn't wow me. Actually the table I bought my Large Cent from had a pair of 46-S WLH's he just bought together with much more attractive old album toning on both in PCGS 64 and 65. The strikes were just as atrocious but I think the eye appeal was better for way less.

10. spenser

spenser Active Member

11. spenser

spenser Active Member

WOW! What beautiful coins!

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Your 1855 cent photo in the slab looks better than PCGS's photo!

Anyway, I do wonder why Saturdays aren't made to be more like Thursdays and Fridays. HA even has their final auction on Friday. You'd think that people would be out of work and available to shop on Saturdays. My best guess is that the CSNS caters to the more-or-less retired demographic. The show really should finish stronger.

Paul M. and IBetASilverDollar like this.
  13. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Shoot. Was this in Schaumburg, IL again? I live really close to there and have been itching to buy some coins in person lately. I wish I could get reminders sent to me or something. The International Coin Show in Chicago used to send me reminders but that stopped.

14. IBetASilverDollar

Yeah real nice location. Easy to find, near expressways, tons of parking real close to the entrance.

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

Paul M. and IBetASilverDollar like this.
  16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I like them both. Great pickups especially the 2 1/2

17. IBetASilverDollar

Remember those stunners I picked out in the lot viewing and was going to be a player at a premium? Apparently I wasn't the only one who looked at them lol

All my top 3 went for moon money and 4,5 and 6 (my backups) did too, so it's 0-6 for me today. My favorite was this capped bust half: https://coins.ha.com/itm/bust-half-...ge-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116 - it's the nicest 58 I've ever seen in any series (pictures are awful believe me it's awesome in hand) but I don't like it $2,300 enough. I'm sure it will be a happy buyer though, awesome coin

18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I was tracking that one. I didn't think I'd have a chance! Plus there was a 1908 No Motto St. Gauden's I had my eye on. I ended up winning it.

IBetASilverDollar and green18 like this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Way to go, Joe.........:)

JPeace$ likes this.
  20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Thanks Ken. I've been watching ever since it was open for bidding. I think it's better than the 66 I sold last year. Only time will tell.

green18 likes this.
  21. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

You did good, OP. Real good. Coin shows are fun, aren't they?

Draft saved Draft deleted