First coin show in two years

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I visited a coin show in Houten, the Netherlands, together with CT-member @AnYangMan. Unfortunately, there were no sceatta's, so I had to look for something else.

Which was this coin:
    upload_2021-9-19_13-38-56.jpeg
    CELTIC, Iceni. Uninscribed. Circa 50-40 BC. AR Unit (14mm, 0.92g). Norfolk Diadem type. Uncertain mint in the upper Yare valley. Diademed head right; stars before / Horse prancing right; pelleted wheel and star above, star below.

I believe it's a scarce coin. There's only one on ACsearch (from CNG) with a smaller flan and in poorer condition.

I really like coin shows :)

akeady, Clavdivs, Theodosius and 44 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Stunning new Celt:artist:
    Im planning on my first post COVID coin show in just two weeks!
    My latest Celtic coin is from roughly the same time and place, though not nearly so detailed;
    Screenshot_20210730-202208_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    RÈMES (Region of Reims) Celtic Quarter of a stater “with segments of circles”, horse left,
    c. 80-50 AC.
    Reims (51), electrum, 10mm, 12 h.
    1.39 g., R1
    Obv: Four segments of ball circles, the one on the right elongated in the shape of a wick.
    Rev: Free horse passing to the left; dot between the legs.
    Found in Normandy July 2021
    "RÈMES (Reims region)
    (2nd - 1st century BC)
    The Remes were one of the most powerful peoples of Gaul and staunch allies of the Romans. The territory of Rèmes extended over present-day Champagne, along the Aisne. Their neighbors were the Atuatuques, the Trevires, the Médiomatriques, the Lingons, the Suessions, the Bellovaci and the Nerviens. They denounced to Caesar the coalition of Belgian peoples of 57 BC which included the Suessions who shared the same laws and the same magistrates. Their main oppidum was Bibrax. The capital of civitas in Gallo-Roman times was Durocortorum (Reims). Caesar (BG. II, 3-5, 7, 12; III, 11; V, 3, 24, 53, 54, 56; VI, 4, 12, 44; VII, 63, 90; VIII, 6, 11) . Strabo (G. IV, 3, 5). Kruta: 70, 313-314, 366."

Limes, Nvb, happy_collector and 15 others like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, sure, y’all just go right ahead and remind me about my complete lack of ancient Celtic coins now, whydon’tcha. :rolleyes:

Ryro likes this.
  5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

You are very fortunate, we still do not have any shows scheduled here in Idaho. Nice coin, thanks for sharing.

6. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I'm glad I'm not the only one that picked up on that

7. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

We are still planning one here in Portland, Or. All depends on the plague. I wish us all good luck on that one.

Theodosius and Mickey in PDX like this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I'm counting on the Jan. 2022 NYINC in New York City going forward. It'll be my first coin show in exactly two years, given that it was canceled last year. (And is usually the only one I go to anyway, all the way back to its World Trade Center days. Manhattan really doesn't have a lot of coin shows even at the best of times, so far as I know.)

Ed Snible and rrdenarius like this.
  9. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

Is there a site somewhere that lists all of the shows, especially ones with a decent ancient coins presence?

10. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

I hope to make that one, living nearby. It will be nice to get back to a coin show.

11. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

The Baltimore Whitman Expo is still on for November 18-20 at last report. Definitely hoping it will go on (if it can be done safely), there's normally a good amount of ancients and world dealers and I enjoy going from table to table, chatting with dealers, and digging through junk boxes in person.

Theodosius and Ed Snible like this.
  12. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

What a purdy coin!

I wish I could find an affordable Celtic coin in such excellent condition, but anything nicer than this seems to go for well above what my budget will allow
    Celtic Britain Iceni AR geometric pattern horse.jpg

Johndakerftw, Nvb and Ryro like this.
  13. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

There are a few. Most of the clubs / dealers I know who hold coin shows advertise on CoinZip Coin Shows - 2021, 2022. This is my favorite.
    Another web site is Texas Coin Shows (GHCC, TNA and Ed advertise here)
    You can find others.

DonnaML and kirispupis like this.
  14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I doubt that Celtic masterpiece was "affordable".
    We all express our mania in different ways:
    Also, around same time and space but bronze and stylistically (though, not artistically)similar:
    293_1-removebg-preview.png
    GAUL, Northwest. Coriosolites. Circa 100-50 BC. BI Stater (19mm, 6.28 g, 6h). Celticized head right, hair in large spiral curls, S-like ear / Devolved charioteer-in-biga right; quadrilateral banner hanging from lash to right, [boar below]. Depeyrot, NC VIII, 186; D&T 2340. Brown surfaces, hard green encrustation. VF.
    Purchased from CNG March 2021

15. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Cetic/ Gaulish silver coins are quite interesting and generally very small much like the Anglo Saxon sceatta

Here’s a neat little Celt I haven’t shown in some time, stylistically quite different from the above but still very Celtic.

[​IMG]

Celts, Remi Tribe
    1st century BC
    AR Quinarius
    14mm
    1.8g

Obv: Vlatos/ Atvela Winged bust left, wearing torque
    Rev: Bull standing right; double spiral ornament above, pentagram below, grain ear in exergue
    De La Tour 7191

Johndakerftw, Ryro, Bing and 3 others like this.
  16. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I just decided and booked - I'm going to Coinex on London on Saturday :D First show for me since Feb. 2020.

:)

ATB,
    Aidan.

rrdenarius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted