First coin from new seller

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Aug 24, 2016.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Hi there. I missed you all. 've just found a new seller and purchased this coin of Valens. It's common, but I liked the live portrait . Wishing to read your opinions, as usual. The coin seems to be struck in Antioch and weighs 2.53 g. The officina appears like an H to me. Thanks for your comments.

Vals O 001.jpg Vals R 001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Does the weak spot on the obverse line up with the weak spot on the reverse? Also, how do the edges look? Any pic?

I don't see anything obviously fake, but I am curious about those two things.

As for the sand patina, I don't know enough about telling real from fake, so I won't comment on that.

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

welcome back, 7charles ...
    emoticon cheers too.gif

7Calbrey likes this.
  5. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

If it has coin turn the "flats" line up.

7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

They look like they line up from the OP pic. Sand patina looks good. I can't tell ya much else.

7Calbrey likes this.
  8. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Cheers to all coin-friends, and thanks for your concern. The coin is of what we call " coin alignment". So the flat spot on the obverse lines up with the left side of the exergue which is not visible. Can I assume that the mint is Antioch? Is there a christogram on the standard? How much should I pay for this coin. The seller showed me hundreds of these but I had no time to check them. Maybe I'll see him in the next coming days or so.

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I believe it is a nice coin overall. I can't tell for sure, but it could be a Chi Rho on the standard and I think it is from Antioch. Glad to have you back and you found a new seller. Many from the old seller were questionable as you know.

7Calbrey likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought many ancients did not really have "coin" alignment or "medal" alignment due to the manner in which they were made.

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sometimes they did have coin or medal alignment - sometimes they didn't. It isn't very useful to think of the alignment in those terms. A broken clock is right twice a day, right? ;):D

Kentucky, Bing and Alegandron like this.
  12. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

A few dollars, unless I'm missing something and it's a rare variety, etc.

7Calbrey likes this.
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

looks ok to me 7C, i think it's a nice looking coin with the desert patina.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted