First Coin From My Wife-Happy 70th Birthday

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, May 27, 2024.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Today I am Seventy. I still refuse to act it. It’s really special to me as this is the first time my wife has purchased a coin for me. She known next to nothing about them but I think she did very well. It was a phone order so she couldn’t see it until it arrived, which was Saturday and you know where I spent that day. She was there with me.
    Not my best photos but it is a very nice coin. I’ve never seen any coin packaged in this manner. If you blow it up I hope you can see it a bit better.
    It’s from NCI (Numismatic Certification Institute) and was graded on 04/07/1986 as a MS-64. It is a 1901-O and a very nice looking coin. I’m proud of her for calling this place, which I’ve dealt with for years. She did good.
    11191030-D6D0-41AD-AB90-B0DE1B82A00F.jpeg 41A4633A-54D8-4305-89AA-D021BF691036.jpeg 50FECCFB-2D1E-4D81-97E7-07D7ACCDCAD2.jpeg 020854DC-F3DE-4110-81BC-6FFE4E9AC1B4.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Nice coin and happy Birthday!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Happy Birthday. Your wife gets an attaboy for that.

5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Dang, talk about hitting a hole in one with her first purchase. You've really taught her well in what to look for.

Z

6. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday to YOU!

[​IMG]

green18, Collecting Nut and lardan like this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here is some info from @Conder101 about NCI:

NCI was begun by Jim Halprin back in 1984. (The NCI grading guide states NCI began in 985 but the first generation of certificates are dated in 1984. ) Jim was also one of the founders of Heritage. While they claim their was no connection between the two firms, I find that somewhat suspect since they were both owned by the same person, both dealt extensively with coins, and were both located in the same building. NCI was also the first TPG to actually publish their own grading guide. If I remember off the top of my head NCI issued eight generations of photocertificates and one generation of slab. Five varieties of photocertificate were produced in 1987 and there is some overlap in usage dates. The slab was issued in conjunction with the 8th photocertificate variety in 1988 and 89. Then the certificate was phased out. NCI closed their doors in 1992.

Back during those years NCI was considered the joke TPG, rated lower than Accugrade. Once they closed their door ACG then became the industry whipping boy. Oddly though for a long time the Coin Dealers Newsletter had a box on one of their pages rating four or five services giving for each what percentage of sheet price each would bring. I believe they listed PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and NCI. Usually NCI was rated higher than ANACS. I always found that interesting because this was going on eight to ten years after NCI went out of business and their slabs were seldom seen in the marketplace. It seems odd that they would be rated so highly when they were considered bottom of the barrel while they were still in business.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=329847

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yep Happy "B" Day to you and many more! I hit 70 last November, it takes a minute to get used to, I mean it did for me anyways. :)

Collecting Nut and lardan like this.
  9. Millard

Millard Coindog

nice coin. Kudo's to your wife, and Happy Birthday!

10. rte

rte Well-Known Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    Very Nice coin, I like the accompanying paperwork.
    $250 :D Did she use Her money or charge it? :p

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Happy Birthday

12. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Happy Birthday and kudos too the wife. Have a special day for the two of you.

13. Collecting Nut

She paid for it. My credit card was used but she gave me the cash. And she got it for just over $100.00, a very good price.

rte likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

I buy the coin but not the slab. In this case I may have bought the slab. The coin itself is very nice and I agree with the grade.

masterswimmer likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Very Happy Birthday....:)

16. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Happy Birthday!! I think that a bunch of us have a touch of the Peter Pan complex. Stay young and wishing you a great year ahead!!

17. No_Ragrets

No_Ragrets Well-Known Member

Happy birthday, and I like that your wife bought you that! My wife just sighs, rolls her eyes, and generally tries to escape the conversation whenever I bring up coin-related anything. I'm kind of a bit envious of you!

I hope you had a nice day and have a relaxing evening. At least after some kind of sweet treat, outside of your gift!

18. 3BStuff

3BStuff Cogitare Et Prolatantem

Happy Birthday!
    honestly I just assumed you were young.
    you finally get to say happy birthday to your self!

19. Collecting Nut

My wife normally acts that way. Just keep doing the same thing and there may be hope.

No_Ragrets likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

I am young, a 70 years young. Lol

3BStuff and masterswimmer like this.
  21. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Happy birthday...nice present even if it is a Morgan.;)

Collecting Nut and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted