First Bill In My Collection

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by guitarmasta12, Dec 31, 2014.

1. guitarmasta12

guitarmasta12 New Member

I got into U.S. currency collecting a few years ago. I started out with Wheat Pennies and I am still collecting wheats. I think I can say wheaties are my expert coins to collect. I have a collector's folder and I'm on the road to get em' all. I'll move onto other coins when ever I want. I recently got into U.S. paper currency and I got my first bill a few days ago. It is a 1923 dollar bill. It's in okay condition not bad for a beginner piece for my paper money collection. I might get it framed maybe. Below is some pics of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dean 295, NSP and Jwt708 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Techman10

Techman10 New Member

nice one! i believe those are woods and white's signatures at the bottom? makes it an F-238. where'd you get it?

4. guitarmasta12

guitarmasta12 New Member

I bought it on ebay for $18. You think it's even worth grading?

5. Techman10

Techman10 New Member

i mean im not an expert... but i probably wouldn't grade it because A.) i wouldn't have the money. and B.) the grade isnt that spectacular so i dont think it's value would go up that much. but i tend to stay in coins not bills. i'd probably value that bill at like $20 so you did good

6. guitarmasta12

guitarmasta12 New Member

Ahh I see. I'll probably grade it in the future to preserve it much better. I respect the history of old things. I'm glad i didnt get ripped off on the deal hehe. There is some that were terrible looking for 30$. Oh and one question, I know that ketchup dioxides copper. It wouldn't be good to use it on an old wheatie would it?

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Your first piece of paper currency. I remember the feeling. You got a decent deal, although I would not have it graded. My advise going forward would be; try to find notes with good eye appeal, and without obvious problems that you can afford. When I look at the note you bought, my vision is first drawn to the problems. The tear and the soiling/stains. This will also be what a potential buyer will see if you ever decide to sell it and possibly upgrade for a nicer note. Congratulations on your first note, and happy hunting in the future.

8. guitarmasta12

guitarmasta12 New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm newer to the bill collecting than coin collecting. I want to find a XF 1923 because I have such an appeal for this particular series.

9. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

nice get. $18 was a good price. I would not advise grading this bill. 1923 $1 silvers are very common. This one looks like an F-12 or so. You would need to have an AU-50 to justify the expense of grading.

If you like paper, you need some reference materials. Friedberg is a must. A current greensheet is a must. Then there are lots of specialty materials. I collect and deal Confederate bills and bonds, as well as Republic of Texas bills. I have several catalogs/books for these.

10. guitarmasta12

guitarmasta12 New Member

Thanks for the tips. And yeah 1923 silver certificate is pretty common. I researched it a bit.

11. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Congratulations on your first piece of currency! I've got that note, too -- it's a nice one. You'll find a lot of good info on this forum; ask a lot of questions and you'll usually get some good advice.

12. guitarmasta12

guitarmasta12 New Member

13. Techman10

Techman10 New Member

14. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Welcome to the "paper chase"; it will be a wild ride but worth every bump. My number one recommendation is buy a Friedberg and wear it out. Here's a link to the publisher, you may find one cheaper on eBay or Amazon.
    http://www.coin-currency.com/page8.html

To the question at hand, I would not send it to be graded but do buy yourself some Mylar currency holders. Again, welcome aboard!

Draft saved Draft deleted