First auction win

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GH#75, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Not everyone knows me either, sorry. I know you now GH#75.

John Burgess and GH#75 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

LOL! I know this, could be the first time ebay purchase, the age you said, or some Alzheimers for some.... :wacky: I've seen you on here as long as I've been here. 619 posts say you've been here a while! hahahahahahahaha and one more thing....

[​IMG]

White Ger. Shep. Lover and GH#75 like this.
  4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

What is a PCGS paper container? I've not heard of them.

5. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Welcome GH#75! Ahhh to be 14 again. Thinking out loud what I would do differently? For one, I never would have sold my baseball card and coin collection at age 18 for questionable items such as booze and chasing wild women. I sold both in one ill advised fell swoop. The cards ( chock full of '67-'72 in great condition ) went for $750 and the coins for $1600 and change. What I wouldn't give to have those back. Don't make the same mistake I did, GH#75! Beware.....those ladies can make us guys do strange things.

GH#75 and TonkawaBill like this.
  6. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

haha...I was wondering why everyone was saying that but I didn’t know better so I didn’t say anything. I’ve only been here a month.

7. TonkawaBill

TonkawaBill Well-Known Member

Lemon speaks with wisdom. I have won several koins I truly did NOT want. Playing a game called 'Bid 'em up'. If you not serious about wanting the koin, then tape your fingers behind you. Some of us with addictive personalities can find our selves up the creek without a paddle.... NICE buy

GH#75 and White Ger. Shep. Lover like this.
  8. TonkawaBill

TonkawaBill Well-Known Member

Welcome Silver. Glad to have you

9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Paper is not exactly correct, it is like a cellophane bag with heavy paper with the pre-typed spaces for description etc. One of our members here had one for sale on ebay recently. If it were still there I would have provided a link to his photo, but he must have sold it.

These are not at all common, and I guess they harken back to a time before the heavy duty slabs—whenever that was.

Beefer518 likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So after "standard shipping" how much do you have in it?

I think what LA Geezer is describing is an old David Hall Rare Coins flip.

11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Well it sure looks like early official NGC regalia.

I've actually seen several of these over the years but never in groups of several per seller.

The postage issue is an important one as some sellers use the postage as a means of increasing their earnings on the coin. This is pretty common knowledge but whenever a seller offers several interesting items he/she should at least forgive shipping costs whenever a buyer places an order for several items. It takes quite a few coins to go over the first postage charge level.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

You need to drop in more often! Congratulations on your auction win. I still remember my first one.:woot:

GH#75 likes this.
  13. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Drop in more often? I've come here just about every day! And thanks.

John Burgess and Santinidollar like this.
  14. GH#75

Just got the coin in the mail. Looks exactly as pictured. :)

John Burgess likes this.
  15. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

One more time!

Capture 333.PNG

GH#75 likes this.
  16. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Uh-oh...another hook's been set! :D

GH#75 likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

NGC has always used slabs. they only time you might see something with NGC and not a slab would be a bodybaged coin.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  18. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

Listen to this man.

GH#75 likes this.
  19. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

Its not always, but when bidding on Ebay, be on the look out for sellers that kind of dont know what they have. I know it's kind of wrong, but ya know, you gotta do what ya gotta do, and its just how auctions work. My lucky auction was an entire collection with a $5 gold piece with even some silver and other proofs. Bought it for $122. Problem was he didnt even have any close ups of the $5 or even mentioned it, which why it sold cheap.

GH#75 likes this.
  20. GH#75

Wow. That's... Good for you, bad for him. That reminds me of my grandpa who spent an old quarter at a gumball machine. The coin is worth $50 now. (If he still had it)

I will look out for sellers like that, but they are hard to find.

Draft saved Draft deleted