First and Last The PAX Romana

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mike Margolis, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

I kind of inadvertently acquired two coins in this auction today. Not sure how it happened but it did. Here is a wiki link that explains the two centuries of relative peace from Octavian to Marcus Aurelius announced by the first coin and consummated so to speak by the second one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Romana
    I have to give up 2 coins now to keep my collection at 100:
    upload_2018-12-9_17-6-51.png
    Octavian, 44-27 BC. Cistophorus (Silver, 28 mm, 10.74 g, 1 h), Ephesus, 28 BC. IMP•CAESAR•DIVI•F•COS•VI•LIBERTATIS•P•R•VINDEX• Laureate head of Octavian to right. Rev. PAX Pax standing front, head to left, holding caduceus with her right hand; behind her, a snake emerging from cista mystica; all within laurel wreath. RIC 476. RPC I 2203. Sutherland Group I. Nearly fine.
    From the R. Marbacher Collection, Switzerland.
    (Do not know about this collection- will search it up)
    upload_2018-12-9_17-8-25.png
    Marcus Aurelius, as Caesar, 139-161. Sestertius (Orichalcum, 31 mm, 27.64 g, 12 h), Rome, 145. [AVRE]LIVS CAESAR AVG [PII F COS II] Bare head of Marcus Aurelius to right. Rev. [VOTA PVBLICA / S C] Faustina and Marcus Aurelius standing vis-à-vis, clasping right hands; behind them stands Concordia placing her hands on their shoulders. BMC 1786. Cohen 1022. RIC 1253a. Minor smoothing and some cleaning marks, otherwise, fine.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Both are the kind of coin that appeal to me. The idea of keeping the collection stable at a number also appeals to me but my number is higher. I could not cut to 100!

4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice additions - I like them both very much. Nice mellow tone/wear patterns to them with fine artistry.

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Two very nice large coins, with honest wear but still attractive.

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I love that cistophorus of Octavian! SCORE!
    SCORE.jpg

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I admired that MA sestertius when I was going through the auction catalog. I regret not bidding on it, but only a little because I’m glad to see that you won it. The Octavian cistophorus is very appealing as well. Nice buys!

Mike Margolis likes this.
  8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Nice pick up. I also bid on that Cistophoric Tetradrachm, glad it went to someone I know. Went for a good price. I didn't get anything today at the Leu auction I was also outbid on a Vespasian denarius by Orfew.

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice acquisitions. I especially like the cistophorus.

10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Child of the 60s that I am, I've often thought that a Pax collection would be a worthwhile pursuit. I started browsing through my collection and was surprised to discover how many different examples of Pax I already have. She appears frequently during some of the least peaceful times in Roman history, and is particularly common during the 3rd century. Seems people always aspire to peace but rarely achieve it.
    [​IMG]
    Trebonianus Gallus
    Augustus, A.D. 251-253
    Silver Double Denarius
    Milan mint
    Obv: IMP C C TREB GALLVS AVG
    Rev: PAX AETERNA - Pax, standing left, holding branch and traverse scepter
    RIC 71
    22mm, 3.8g.

11. sammysammy

sammysammy New Member

wasn't it Augustus who introduced pax romana, not Octavian?????o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

12. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Octavian and Augustus are the same person. Are you making the distinction between the time when he was known as Octavian and the time after the Senate declared him "Augustus", i.e "most esteemed"?

Draft saved Draft deleted