First Ancient Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Silver Eagle, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Those are my kind of coins! I, too, subscribe to the "I simply bought what I liked" philosophy of coin collecting! After all, what's the point if you don't like your coins?!

Isn't it great to hold history in your hands? I like to think those coins have traces of ancient olive oil, pagan altar smoke, gladiator sweat and centurion blood on them.

arizonarobin and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I find your post both wonderful and troubling at the same time. Communicating your lack of knowledge on the subject is a major part of collecting ancient coins. Any person who claims to have all the answers about this huge subject simply does not understand the questions. The rest of us, beginners and long term collectors, are constantly learning. I fear that I am forgetting some details I once had under control. Here on Coin Talk Ancients, we expect active participants to show their shortcomings as well as their strengths. Ask questions and answer others. I find interest in your five ancients and have between 2 and 200 examples of each (Domna is a specialty here). I would love to see yours and be of any possible use making them even more enjoyable to you and any other lurkers who might be on the edge of taking the plunge.

Certainly we would hope you are driven to learn to take passable photos of the ancients for posting things you can share. These don't have to be fancy but they do need to be in focus and close up. These are straight from my phone. I have a good camera so I never use the phone for coins and we really would prefer that you learn to crop and combine the two into one shot but first learn to get photos that show the coin clearly. This is a barbarous Julia Domna denarius.
    20190401_082323.jpg 20190401_082334.jpg

4. KeviniswhoIam

KeviniswhoIam Well-Known Member

Thank you for your kind words, all!

You have no idea how many ancients I looked at yesterday to pick the 5 I bought! I dragged my patient girlfriend in as well.....she was mollified by the fact that I had bought her a antique silver bracelet from a dealer there for basically bullion value....it was easily the best $16 I ever spent!

I will take pictures tonight, with my cellphone. Dont laugh!

Other than the experts here, are there any good resources for Roman coins (I feel like I enjoy the western Roman empire most)....such as books or websites?

Thanks for your time and patience!

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

arizonarobin likes this.
  6. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

From an 'old hand' at the trade of collecting ancients: Welcome!
    Gordian III is a good starting point as all of his coins are readily available and affordable (apart from gold, that is) The number of coins are overseable as well, but when you start randomly buying ancients, you drown - there simply are too many of them. Like Doug, I have all kinds from all over the Mediterranean world, but I specialize in two things: all silver and bronze from Rome of Antoninus Pius (in itself many thousands of varieties here) and the copper coins of Arelate during Constantine's reign (over a thousand of possiblilities here too). So my advise: limit yourself beforehand, buy a good catalog and enjoy!

arizonarobin and KeviniswhoIam like this.
  7. KeviniswhoIam

8. KeviniswhoIam

In my short time of looking at varieties and types, yes, I see there are a bunch! Its one of the reasons it appears so daunting. That's why I am looking at some of TIF's (above post) suggestions before I buy any more.....my only rhyme or reason in buying what I did was simply because I liked them.....I do admit, I enjoy some emperors over others, but thats not to say I enjoy their coinage! I was more of a "thats really a cool denarius, I think I'll buy it..." rather than trying to amass a set of which I know nothing about. I did see many Gordian III there though.

I like Diocletian.....dont have any though!

arizonarobin likes this.
  9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Hello there Silver Eagle and KeviniswhoIam. Welcome to the wonderful world of ancient coin collecting and the bizarre stories behind the emperors or other people and other displays on the coins. Its still amazing to have your hands of history as old as that!

10. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Buying what you like is a quick way to get addicted to collecting ancient coins...welcome to a fantastic hobby.

11. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

Nice first acquisition, it will become an addiction.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I am enjoying ancients also, although the first few I had were dark misshapen things, I persevered. Don't hesitate to try and take pictures, you will get excellent advice here on your efforts!

13. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

Second Ancient Coin
    My intention is to purchase a Roman Republican era coin but they seem to be very expensive IMO.
    I came across this coin and just had to have it, Tiberius AE AS Rome Mint 10-11 AD.

[​IMG]

Tiberius AE AS Rome Mint 10-11 AD Obverse: TI CAESAR AVGVST F IMPERAT V Head of Tiberius, bare, right Reverse: PONTIFEX TRIBVN POTESTATE XII Legend surrounding S C References:
    RIC 469 Size: 29mm, 9.48g Professional Numismatic Notes: A nice coin of Tiberius

It's all about history for me now.
    According to Roman-Emperors org, ( https://www.roman-emperors.org/tiberius.htm )
    "The reign of Tiberius (b. 42 B.C., d. A.D. 37, emperor A.D. 14-37) is a particularly important one for the Principate, since it was the first occasion when the powers designed for Augustus alone were exercised by somebody else."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted