First ancient coin purchase

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Arcane76, Aug 7, 2020.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Individually replied to everyone. Classy.

Edessa, Egry and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Maybe if silver goes up a bit more, I might sell off some of my junk 40% Kennedys to fun some ancient purchases. I like that idea :)

Edessa and Alegandron like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Several years ago, I bought rolled halves. For about a year, my wife and I would draw $6,000 at one bank in halves, and $5,000 at another bank in halves each week. We turned a lot of coins during a period when I had health issues. Gleaned a lot of 40% and 90% halves, and several circulated proofs. Sold off the 40%, and have kept the rest. I estimated we went through over 1 million halves or approx $500++ over that year.

I dumped those 40% turkeys a few years ago. Kept my 90%ers, though. Turned the 40% into gold. I kept thinking, if the chips were down and you had to use them for trade, most non-collectors would not understand them. In fact, you would feel cheated by them, compared to a regular silver half.

Edessa, furryfrog02 and Egry like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

What was the most interesting and/or valuable find out of all that? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hmmm. Hard to remember, but scads of PROOFS! Some Quarters (?). Some colored/painted/enameled. Several gold plated. Some British AE Pennies, early 1900’s. Some etched. Surprised at how many halves lost all of their edge reeding.

Oh, yeah, forgot: several rolls worth of Franklins, and accumulated several rolls of Walking Liberties. Nice surprises.

We speed cut and sorted the rolls, bagged them for return. So, we were focused on the SILVER which was the quickest, simplest, highest average return. We would go through 10-12,000 coins in approx 1-1/2 hours.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I was doing about $3k in halves a week for almost 3 years before my dump
    Bank cut me off. I pulled quite a few 40%ers and a decent number of 90%ers too. Sold about a third of the 40%ers when silver hit $18 about a year ago before dipping down again. Held the rest though.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted