First 2019 Purchase

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Jan 15, 2019.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I've never looked at many of these Skythian 'imitations' to see how crude they get, but I've always supposed this to be one of them.

Pontos Amisos - Aegis Nike Imitation.jpg

Theodosius, Johndakerftw, TIF and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Looking at the style of the letters, this definitely looks like an imitation. But besides the lettering, the style of nike and Aegis doesn't look that off.

Here is an example of these Skythian? imitation coinage in good condition (not mine):
    [​IMG]

A quite unique style of both Aegis and nike.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those who are seeking coins of they types shown in this thread are reminded to be on the lookout for examples from the other cities under the control of Mithradates VI. A couple were shown in this thread but most have been Amisos. While Amisos is most common, I believe more of the headless Medusa coins from there are on a smaller flan making it harder to fit all the important details. Keep an open mind when searching. We have had several threads here on Coin Talk showing these other cities' coins but I did not find the links to the older and better ones. Perhaps someone has them?

Attached Files:

TJC, Johndakerftw and Pavlos like this.
  5. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I got a coin from Chabakta, a rare coin. Maybe me and @zumbly are the only ones on cointalk that have one? Not sure.

[​IMG]
    Mithridates VI Chabakta, Pontos (100 B.C. – 85 B.C)
    Obverse:
    Helmeted head of Ares right.
    Reverse: [X]ABA-KTΩ[N] across fields, sword in sheath, star in crescent at upper left, monogram at lower left.

Does anyone on here have a coin from Komana, Pontos? Coins from there seem to be very rare as well.

TJC, Alegandron, zumbly and 1 other person like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I have one, but what I like best about it is not that it's from Komana, but that the head of Medusa has clear facial details.
    Pontos Komana c.jpg
    PONTOS, Komana
    AE28. 17.47g, 27.9mm. PONTOS, Komana. Struck under Mithradates VI, circa 111-105 BC or 95-90 BC. HGC 7, 278 (R3); SNG BM 1261; Sear Greek 3656. O: Head of Athena in crested helmet ornamented with Pegasos to right. R: KOMA-NΩN, Perseus facing, holding harpa in left, and head of slain Medusa in right hand, her decapitated body below gushing blood; monograms in lower left and right fields.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice coin @Bing ... great details, well centered. Cool patina...

AMISOS

upload_2019-1-16_7-10-5.png
    PONTOS Amisos 85-65 BCE Æ24 12.2g Mithradates VI as Perseus r Phrygian helmet Pegasos grazing l Malloy 33b HGC 7 239

upload_2019-1-16_7-11-36.jpeg
    Pontos Amisos Gorgon Aegis-Nike AE21

upload_2019-1-16_7-14-3.jpeg
    Pontos Amisos
    Mithradates VI 109-89 BC
    AE 28 Athena
    Perseus Medusa Head Body
    (No head on Perseus either!)

Pavlos, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  8. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Great addition Bing!
    I do not have Pontos coin but but have almost pulled the trigger on a few.
    Cool info Ed! Thanks for sharing:)

Draft saved Draft deleted