First 2019 Purchase

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I know a lot of you have a headless Medusa from Pontos Amisos, but this is my first. So now I can join the club, eh? It's certainly not the prettiest, but the final cost was below $50 so I am happy with my purchase.

I would also like to point out that I obtained this off an Ebay auction; however, it was not only from a seller I trust, but also a member of this august forum. I know we have talked about Ebay as a minefield, but if one knows and trusts the seller, one can navigate that minefield. Ebay is no worse than any other seller platform and perhaps better price wise. There are a half dozen to a dozen sellers I know and trust on Ebay. In this case, the auction ended Friday evening and the coin arrived Monday afternoon. How quick was that?

Anyway, to the coin:
    AMISOS PONTOS 5.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS
    AE30
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Athena right
    REVERSE: AMI-ΣOY across fields, Perseus standing facing, looking left, holding harpa and head of Medusa; Medusa's body at his feet right, AMTE and ΩΣ monograms to left and right
    Struck at Amisos 109-89 BC
    19.87g, 27mm
    BMC 30; RecGen 17h; SNG Tuebingen 2049; Malloy 16L

I now own five coins from Pontos Amisos. I'm not sure why, other than I find I like the design of the coinage. Here are my other coins from Pontos:
    AMISOS PONTOS 3.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS
    AE 21
    OBVERSE: Gorgonian head facing on shield
    REVERSE: AMI-SOU to left and right of Nike advancing right, holding palm over shoulder; ME monogram to left, VTE monogram to right
    Struck at Amisos 80 BC
    7.6g, 21mm
    SNG BMC 1190
    AMISOS PONTOS 2.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS
    Æ17
    OBVERSE: Head of Dionysos with ivy-wreath right
    REVERSE: AM-ISOS, Thyrsos; monogram to right
    Struck at Amisos 85-65 BC
    4.0g, 17mm
    SNG BM 1192-1195
    AMISOS PONTOS 4.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS
    AE 22
    OBVERSE: Aegis with head of gorgoneion in centre
    REVERSE: [A]MI-ΣO[Y] Nike walking right, holding palm tied with fillet over left shoulder; monograms flanking
    7.3g, 22mm
    SNG BMC Black Sea 1180-1182; SNG Cop. 171

And my favorite by far:
    AMISOS PONTOS.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS
    AE 20
    OBVERSE: Head of youthful Dionysos right, wreathed with ivy
    REVERSE: Thyrsos leaning against cista mystica draped with panther skin; AMISOU below
    8.8g, 21mm
    SNG BM Black Sea 1199-1200; HGC 7, 243

Post your coins from Amisos Pontos

TJC, BenSi, Gavin Richardson and 37 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice addition, I had it on my watch list but ended up getting some british half crowns I needed that went unnoticed instead cheap.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The only one I have that you did not show is this small AE with tripod.
    g61485fd1646.jpg

TJC, panzerman, chrsmat71 and 12 others like this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice catch, Bing. I too waited to get one of these, and found one on eBay on the cheap that has some virtues and some vices. I wish Perseus wasn't decapitated as well as Medusa, but for $30 you are going to have to take some flaws.

Pontos - Medusa decapitated Oct 2018 (0).jpg

I also got a tripod one sorta like Doug's. It too has problems, but I really liked the portrait (and it was cheap). Mine isn't all that small - almost 9 grams. Is this the same as Doug's? Inexpert attribution below...

Pontos Amisos Brass Sep 2018 (0g).jpg

Pontos, Amisos Æ 18
    Struck under Mithradates VI
    (c. 125-100 B.C.)

Diademed head of Artemis right; bow & quiver at shoulder / ΑΜΙ - ΣΟΥ Tripod.
    SNGBM Black Sea 1139 ff.; SNG Copenhagen 138. SNG; Stancomb 671.
    (8.92 grams / 18 mm)

TJC, panzerman, chrsmat71 and 11 others like this.
  6. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Great new example, @Bing!!

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Here is one from a few years ago I bought separately. I have a few others from large lots I don't have imaged. I thought this one was centered pretty nicely.

133_large_dc8df25e51b21bcba0a8072743f65e18.jpg

8. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Very nice coin Bing - I like it.

panzerman and galba68 like this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin of a popular type, with nice eye appeal. Congrats.

panzerman likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine is AE13 and 2.14g which would seem to be 1/4 of yours.

I judge these reverses on a six point system:
    Is Medusa's body clear with blood gushing?
    Does Medusa's head have facial details?
    Is the hook shaped weapon clear?
    Does Perseus have a head on flan?
    Is the legend clear?
    Are the surfaces smooth and attractive?

I have several of these coins and consider a 4/6 a very good score. 2/6 is not without some merit. That is just the reverse. The obverse has points as well but that is a different matter.
    Amisos 3/6 reverse (obverse better?)
    g61470b00608lg.jpg

Amastris 4/6 reverse (obverse about equal)
    g61497fd1612.jpg

Sinope 4/6 reverse (obverse better)
    g61505bb3106.jpg

The hardest one IMO is getting facial features on the head. Of course all of this is just opinion.

11. Nathan P

Nathan P Well-Known Member

Love this particular coin and a really interesting time in history. Here's mine: normal_Pontos_l.jpg

TJC, Marsyas Mike, panzerman and 8 others like this.
  12. alde

alde Always Learning

Nice pickup @Bing. Of course we were all expecting a rare LEG denarius. Not that you have a reputation or anything.

Bing likes this.
  13. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

A few more types:

I was unable to wait for a better specimen of this type and purchased a weak example. I suspect this depicts Mithradates' Scythian wife, but have no way to prove that theory.
    wolfskin-both.jpg
    Pontos, Amisos, 85-65 BC, 5.99g, 20mm
    Obv: Amazon head in wolf (?) skin
    Rev: ΑΜΙ-ΣΟΥ; Nike

250418.jpg
    Pontos, Amisos, 85-65 BC, 2.64g, 15mm
    Obv: Head of Perseus right, wearing a winged Phrygian helmet
    Rev: ΑΜΙ-ΣΟΥ, winged harpa; monogram right.
    ex-Münzen & Medaillen GmbH (DE), auction 17, October 2005, lot 731; ex-Münzen und Medaillen AG, Basel - Lagerliste 474 (1985), lot 148.

TJC, Theodosius, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  14. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Great Pontos collection Bing, congrats.

P1150426medusa3.jpg P1150426.JPG P1180408.JPG

TJC, Theodosius, TIF and 7 others like this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Welcome to the club, @Bing!

Pontos Amisos - AE31 Headless Medusa 2482.jpg

Intriguing theory!

Pontos Amisos - Amazon Wolfskin 2568.jpg

TJC, TIF, Alegandron and 5 others like this.
  16. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great coin @Bing! Do I see a Pontos collection forming along your Legion collection? :D

Mine:
    [​IMG]

TJC, TIF, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  17. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Great new coin to add to the budding Amisos, Pontos collection ;)

I've been looking for one of the Gorgon head types for a while now, but haven't found one I really liked yet at a price I've liked too so nothing to show. :(

-d

18. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Many of Mithradates’ types seem to illustrate the myth of Perseus. There are tetradrachms with Pegasos reverse, large bronzes of Athena head/Perseus, large Perseus/Pegasos bronzes, this aegis/Nike bronze, and a small bronze Perseus/harpa. Barclay Head explained the significance of the types:“On these coins the supposed Persian descent of Mithradates is emphasized by the types relating to Perseus.”

Mithradates’ other bronze types include Zeus (who fathered Perseus) and Dionysos (who fought Perseus). Warwick Wroth speculated that the female head in ‘wolf’s skin’ type issued by Mithradates represents Andromeda.

Wroth suggested that the ‘wolf’s skin’, which Mionnet called goat’s skin and James Millingen called griffin’s skin, is the skin of the ketos slain by Perseus. I am suggesting that both the Wroth "Andromeda" theory and the "Amazon" theory are correct.

Mithradates’ other types are identified as “Ares” (?), “Head in leather cap”, and “Artemis”. These mythological figures are all identified by style; there is no certainty that Ares and Artemis are the correct identification. Those coins could depict other characters from Perseus’ cycle and we would not know.

Mithradates loved poisons and pharmacology. He would have been attracted to Perseus as a hero who brought back poisons and cures from remote lands.

Mithradates allied with Scythian tribes, possibly including the Sarmatians, a tribe named after lizards (sauros). A Persian, using the power of reptiles to fight Rome may have inspired the Perseus themes. Perseus would have appealed to the Greeks Mithradates sought to ally with.

Mithradates' coins were used and imitated in the Amazon lands of Scythia. I have seen "imitations" with bogus "Amisos"-style inscriptions. Lately I have been wondering if they are not imitations, but official issues of the tribes allied with Mithradates.

Theodosius, TJC, Nathan P and 9 others like this.
  19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Really good addition Bing. I really love the coinage from Pontus/ Kings of the Bosphorus region/ Colchis Celtic coinage....and not to forget Scythian coins:happy: Here is one of my Staters from Mithradates VI

Attached Files:

20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Try this again.... IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0697.JPG

Theodosius, Johndakerftw, TIF and 7 others like this.
  21. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Bing, Nice addition to your group ;). The last coin in your group is my favorite too :D. The portrait of Dionysos is beautiful & the composition on the reverse is fascinating. Amisos was obviously rich in mythology & cultism :wacky:.

Draft saved Draft deleted