First 2 For 2022

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jan 5, 2022.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Both of these were bought at the very tail end of 2021 but since they arrived yesterday I plan on counting them towards 2022 coins.

Neither are beautiful by any stretch of the word, but for the prices paid and the fact that they are relatively obscure emperors, I am happy to have them in my collection.

They were also a nice distraction from the stress of Mrs. Frog being in the hospital yesterday for observation on the tadpole. Everything turned out ok and she came home late last night but it looks like we will be adding another to the pond sooner than originally planned.

Anyways, here are the two coins that came:

Procopius, AE3, REPARATIO FEL TEMP, CONSA.png
    Procopius
    AE3
    364-367 AD
    Obverse: D N PROCOPIVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: REPARATIO FEL TEMP, emperor standing facing, head left, holding labarum and resting hand on shield
    Mintmark CONSA
    Cost: $20

Magnus Maximus, AE2, REPARATIO-REIPVB, LVGP.png
    Magnus Maximus
    AE2
    Lyons
    383-388 AD
    Obverse: DN MAG MAXI-MVS PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: REPARATIO-REIPVB, Emperor standing left, holding Victory on globe and raising kneeling, turreted woman. No fieldmark.
    Mintmark LVGP
    Cost: $4.99. This is somewhat nicer in hand. It was hard to photograph though.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Some scarce ones there, @furryfrog02! The year is off to a good start. Pouring a libation to Juno Lucina for Mrs. Frog and a safe delivery of that tadpole.

Faustina Jr IVNONI LVCINAE S C sestertius.jpg

4. furryfrog02

Thanks. We are at 35 weeks 4 days right now. Little guy is small but seemingly healthy. The goal is to make it to 37 right now. If not, he will be spending some time in the NICU. My wife thinks he will be here by the end of the week. We shall see... My mother-in-law will be coming down either today or tomorrow to stay with us and help out/watch the kids if needed. That will be fun...lol

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Nice newbies in your Collection Jared. I don’t have a Procopius nor a Magnus Maximus, but here’s a coin in honor of your future Prince of Youth :

Maximus Sestertius
    Rome 29mm 19.65g
    MAXIMVS CAES GERM / PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS S-C
    RIC 13

E38D7756-143E-431D-8C85-164F1065F1FA.jpeg

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Good start or end:D I still need both Emperors/ Magnus Maximus is possible/ Procopius....if I win the lottery;) With my luck/ ZERO chance:( of that. I NEVER win anything.....
    John

7. furryfrog02

Your problem is that you only do gold!
    If you came and mucked around in the mud with the dirty plebes like me, you could definitely get him ;)

Roman Collector and panzerman like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Procopius silver is in your bracket; bronze is in mine.
    ry7625bb3081.jpg

9. furryfrog02

I like the left facing bust. I have very few left facing busts. For my Procopius price though, I couldn't be too picky which way he was looking :)

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Good luck with the tadpole @furryfrog02 - here's one in the collection from Arles (TCON)

Magnus Maximus, 383 - 388 A.D.

AE 2, 24mm 5.7 grams

Obverse: DN MAG MAXIMVS PF AVG
    Diademed head right, draped and cuirassed

Reverse: REPARATIO REIPVB
    Maximus standing left, crowned by Victory, raising kneeled, turreted figure of a woman

Mintmark: TCON (Arles)

Reference: RIC IX, 26A, Sear 20650

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. furryfrog02

Thanks!
    Yours is so much nicer!
    I love that you can see Victory.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  12. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

The story of Procopius is so interesting to me. I wish we knew more of the story. Here is the only photograph I have of one of my Procopius coins.
    Procopius.JPG

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Great start to this year with those two furry. You made me smile. :)

furryfrog02 likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

I really like what I've read about him. The way he was executed was pretty rough, if the story is to be belived.
    Great beard on your coin :)

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted