Finished up my Lincoln wheat collection this weekend

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by scott.french3, Mar 11, 2018.

1. scott.french3

scott.french3 Well-Known Member

I picked up the last 3 I needed at the ANA Money Show in Irving, TX. A 1909 S VDB in XF40, 1915 in AU58and 1922 no mint mark Strong Reverse in VF35. I picked up the 1914-D and 1909-S at a previous coin show. Now, trying to figure out my next series to collect. Looking at Washington Quarters from 1932, Franklin Halves and continuing to pick up nice Morgans in better dates. The mercury dimes are interesting. But, several of the key dates are very expensive. I could definitely get the Washington Quarters in MS without varieties as well as the Franklin Halves. Hmmmm Decisions, decisions......

Peter T Davis, Dave M, dwhiz and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Nice! Always dreamed of being able to put together a full wheat set.. but those darn 1909-s's always make me shy away from it. I'd love to see some pictures of your set if you wouldn't mind posting! :)

4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Congrats!

I'd do Washington quarters in a dansco if it were me. There are so many quality raw ones still out there for good prices and there's something really classic and cool about their look in an album, IMO.

5. scott.french3

It's in a combination of the Whitman cent album, 2x2 flips and slabs. So, it's not conducive to taking pictures. I'll see what I can do. The ones in the whitman album I found in change or bank rolls. The more key dates I ended up getting at coin shows.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome Scott. I'm a big fan of Mercury dimes. I lot of folks do this set and don't worry about the 16-D. Don't get hung up on having to fill every hole. Just have fun with collecting.

7. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Ah, I see. Glad to hear you found a good amount in circulation, makes it even cooler. :)

8. scott.french3

I started collecting as a teenager. Stopped when I went away to college. Picked it up again when my kids were young. Then stopped again after they lost interest. I've picked it up again over the last several months. Fortunately, I bought a number of my Morgan dollars about 25 yrs ago. Should have bought all key date Lincoln cents back then too. Oh well.

Noahqto likes this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Ain't that an awesome feeling? I started my Lincoln set in the 1970's. Wasn't until three years ago I allowed myself to plug that one magic hole..... Franklin's are a nice set. Make for a beautiful presentation piece.

10. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Glad to hear you stuck with it. And I guess we all have regrets about not buying key dates when we were younger.. I remember my dad telling me when he was my age (17) he could get UNC cc Morgan's for $25-50!

11. scott.french3

I picked up a 1903-O Morgan at a coin show that is probably MS65 for $136 back when my son was 5 yrs old. He's 33 now.

Noahqto likes this.
  12. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Now that's a steal! :)

13. scott.french3

Fortunately, I bought the 78, 80 through 85-cc Morgans back then too.

JPeace$ likes this.
  14. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

Personally, I like the Mercury Dimes. I completed my set a few months ago, finally getting my 1916-D (Slabbed AG-3, but only cost me $250). I also have a 1942/41. They are a bit tougher dates to find, but you can still get them at reasonable prices. As for most other dates, you can generally find them in pretty decent shape for not too much, especially if you find a Coin Shop that lets you go through their bag of Mercs. :)

I've been working on Large Cents for the past couple of years, and have nearly all Years, except for 1793, 1799, 1804, & 1809. Still working on the Varieties, but I am up to 70 Large Cents out of the 97 spots in my Dansco Book - plus I have an 1800/79 and an 1801 (1/100 over 1/000) in two blank spots.

scott.french3 likes this.
  15. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Any idea the prices of the CC's?

16. scott.french3

they vary on condition. I probably paid about 1/3 of current PCGS price guide for them.

Noahqto likes this.
  17. scott.french3

I am going to embark on an Indian Head Cents collection. Probably shoot for XF/AU on most of the dates. Will probably have to drop my grade expectations on the key dates.

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm almost finished, I still need the 2018s'

19. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Congrats on finishing the set.

20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice way to get it done

Draft saved Draft deleted