Fingerprint?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Chad lajoice, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Chad lajoice

Chad lajoice Member

992DA128-DC0D-45A9-AD94-74FC14B155C9.png B3974DC9-8A43-4191-B2B4-6FD6ACBB0252.png F4735DD0-5AF9-4F6C-AD69-DEB4B58C080B.png 60D2AA2E-D6DA-4EC6-A4D7-A11E9D49F752.png This coin looks like it has a finger print on the reverse above the eagles head but then when I look at it magnified I’m not sure. Is there any other marks that could look like a print at first glance? I tried to get afew pictures of it but it’s so hard to get closeups to turn out.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Maybe a fingerprint smudged.

4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, I think I see what you mean. It doesn't look exactly like fingerprints to me, but it does look like something. Also in the field below the eagles left wing (so on the right).

Next question, since it's slabbed, did you have it slabbed? How old is the slab? If it is organic there is a limited amount of time to address it & it would have to be removed (cracked out) to do it. If you had it slabbed, can you return it & ask the TPG to do conservation?

Lots of questions. The obverse seems OK, but the reverse, unless it's something on the plastic, looks problematic.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It doesn't look like a fingerprint. It looks more like the coin is stained from having a wet rag or cloth over it for an extended period. The discoloration in the field that looks like a fingerprint to you is also on the Eagles chest and wings. It also extends into the wreath and under the Eagles right wing.

6. Chad lajoice

Chad lajoice Member

Yes there is the same thing going on by the wing. I didn’t have it slabbed so not sure how long it has been in plastic. I picked up afew coins together so it’s not a huge deal as I dot have a lot into them.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It doesn't look like a fingerprint to me, either.

Chris

8. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Hypothetically, if it was recently slabbed, could be broken out and re-submitted for conservation...... What would that conservation consist of? How do the TPG'ers do it and what do they use?

The problem area on the first picture almost looks baked into the surface. I'm wondering if acetone would remove it?

PlanoSteve likes this.
  9. Chad lajoice

Chad lajoice Member

Thanks for the input guys. Except for those spots it’s not a bad coin. It graded a 64pl. Even with the marks I do like it. But then again I like most Morgan’s

Draft saved Draft deleted