Fingerprint Verdigris

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BadThad, Sep 8, 2010.

1. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Doing some searching tonight and I stumbled upon this coin. It's a really cool example of how verdigris can develop from a fingerprint. Note the termination points of the print, there's a verdigris spot at the end of each line in the print. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

Nobody else found this interesting, eh? I guess I'm the only verdigris geek in the world. LOL

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I've noticed the same thing. I had a batch of 60's Canadian cents that had the same effect. If I can remember what batch they're in, I'll post a few pics.

5. coop

coop Senior Member

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Now don't get the newbies disease " Are we there yet?".

I know many think that the print is caused by the ridges of the fingerprint whorls rather than the valleys, but I think the opposite as the component that causes the corrosion are the merocrine sudoriferous glands which secrete mainly salts and water, which collects in the depressions, since the ridges are used for gripping. The end verdigris is probably caused by the sweat being squeezed out between the coin and the valleys and deposits outside the pressure area. IMO. :)

Jim

7. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

I'm a bit bumbed. This evening going through nickel rolls I found a beautiful rainbow on one-half of the obverse and verdigris on one-half of the obverse. I may put the coin through the double dip in acetone.

Thad, my understanding is that the acetone will only stop the spread of the verdigris, right? The green will still exist---it just won't spread, right? Will the acetone stop or ruin the rainbow? I'm wanting to keep the nickel for its rainbow, but I don't want to keep it if verdigris continues to spread or fear it may 'contaminate' other coins in my collection.

8. ikandiggit

Here's one of the BU Canadian cents that I have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BadThad

Great theory!

10. BadThad

No, acetone will not remove or stop verdigris. However, it will dehydrate it and slow additional formation to a crawl if you store the coin in something like an Air-Tite holder immediately after rinsing.

Be sure to keep all coins with verdigris far, far away from your other coins. It can absolutely spread from coin to coin. I've found a couple "mated pairs" of cents that prove verdigris can spread by contact.

11. BadThad

VERY VERY COOL example! Do you mind if I save and use your pictures?

Thanks

12. ikandiggit

Sure! If you want, I'll send you a couple of the cents. I have a couple of hundred of them!

13. BadThad

Thanks!

Also, I don't need any more coins with verdigris.....trust me on that. LOL

14. ikandiggit

Oh, well.... back into the junk box they go.:D

15. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

This was an informative read.

16. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

I'll just kiss the rainbow goodbye. I don't want a coin with the green monster staring back at me. Thanks for the info, Thad.

17. BadThad

Why don't you just conserve the coin to get rid of the verdigirs?

18. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

In what manner to conserve? Simple 2x2 or snaplock or ?? to get rid of verdigris? By the way, I can't wait to see your verdigris book when published.

Draft saved Draft deleted