Fingerprint Imprint on $1 Star Note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bepbroker, May 7, 2016.

1. bepbroker

bepbroker New Member

Hi-

I'm curious if this is a "thing" or not :) I have a stack of 2013 K 04315101..200 $1 star notes. On the reverse of each bill, below the "N" in the word "ONE", is the physical texture of a fingerprint, with some degree of ink highlight on it, unique to each bill in the stack.

When I say its physical, in other words, if I run my fingernail over the fingerprint, I can feel the texture of the fingerprint in a similar way you'd feel the texture of ridges on the reeded edge of a coin.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it an error? Is the fact that the fingerprint has a texture indicate the nature of the error in more detail, than say, just an ink fingerprint with no accompanying physical imprint accompanying it?

Attached Files:

• one.jpg
      one.jpg
      File size:
      588.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

It is caused by Washington on the other side of the note.

silentnviolent and USS656 like this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I agree with @lettow . This happens A LOT and is very common.

Dean 295 likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It bled through the note from the obverse, probably Washington. Very common.

6. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

I didn't know the BEP had Washington's fingerprints on file...

Paul M., Andrew Snovell and Kentucky like this.
  7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

The owner of the orchard, where he chopped down the cherry tree, filed a complaint against him and he was arrested and fingerprinted. Once you are one file with the government, you are tracked for life and the hereafter. :>)

8. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

They can't be fingerprints. The lines are all parallel and spaced uniformly.

9. bepbroker

bepbroker New Member

Thanks to all for the quick reply, next time I will lay off the sauce and inspect the front of the bill first to help determine what may lie on the reverse. Anyone interested in buying a stack of Star 1s with Washington's texture bleeding through? Heheheheh :)

Thanks again!

10. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It is not bleed through from Washington's portrait on the front. All $1 notes have this as it is intentionally engraved into the printing plates by the BEP. It's not meant to mimic a fingerprint, even though it looks like one. It becomes less noticeable as $1 notes get used and worn but you can still see traces of this on notes that are in average and used condition. I forget the purpose behind the BEP making $1 notes with this but I know of an expert who has an answer. I'll send the expert a message and see if he wants to respond on here with the answer.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  11. SteveInTampa

Wait, WHAT ?

Are you serious ?

12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Well, there remains the possibility that I am wrong but I recall reading about this before a number of years ago. Let's see what the expert has to say.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  13. SteveInTampa

I hear the Jeopardy song playing in the background.

silentnviolent likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Say what??? Please explain...

15. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

A message has been sent to the expert asking if an elaboration can be given. It is ultimately up to him if and when he chooses to respond.

16. SteveInTampa

@NOS , may I ask you, who is the expert you are referencing ?
    Maybe I also know them.

17. Collecting Nut

I went to the bank yesterday and they had new $1.00 bills, still banded in serial number sequence. They always let me look through them and out of 200 new, clean, crisp $1.00 bills I found nothing. No errors, no fancy numbers, no start notes and not a single bill had bled though. Oh, and none of them had the "intentionally engraved into the printing plates by the BEP" on them.

I do wish your "expert" would respond. I'm still waiting for an answer and that Jeopardy song is starting to get on my nerves.

SteveInTampa likes this.
  18. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The notes you looked at yesterday are obviously errors since they were missing this element. I recommend you go back and get them all.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

I'm not thinking, it's that song, I can't get it our of my head!

20. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Since there is only green ink on the back of a note, wouldn't this require a another printing and plate just to get it in black?

21. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

The expert I'm referring to goes by the name of Excelsior, among other names. This is not worth losing sleep or stressing over. This issue has been discussed on the following thread: http://forums.wheresgeorge.com/show...of-1s-and-the-quot-fingerprint-quot&p=4253831

I recommend switching the display on there to "Linear Mode". One poster on there refers to the "fingerprint" as an "offset inking error" that hasn't bled through. So, take it as you will in attempting to explain it.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted