Finger Prints

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Roger Sosnowski, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Hi,

I'm thinking of bidding on a 1936D Washington Quarter--it's the last one I need to complete my collection. It's listed as a superb Gem--ms66(but it's a raw coin). The luster strike is fantastic on both sides. but I noticed it has what appears to be a small streak below the motto. The seller says it's a light toning probably caused by a thumb print long ago. SO I have a couple of questions--can you have an ms65 or 66 that has a thumbprint on it? How much should one discount an otherwise exceptional coin that has a thumbprint? I've attached the link to the site selling the coin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always,
    Roger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311393582978?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yes.

Depends on how much the 'print' takes away from 'eye appeal'. It certainly seems there is not much distraction in regard to the photo you posted. The true test will be when the coin is in hand. The over exposed photos could be hiding something.......

4. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Maybe add a supergem pizza sticker and I'll pay $1700! Seriously though, I thought you couldn't even put a numeric grade on a 2x2 raw coin, let alone a price clear as day. Wow, that's, wow...

As for the coin, it does look "super gem" but why still in a 2x2 for a $1600 coin. Looks pretty though. And they do have 100% feedback with a return policy. Maybe there is a deal in there somewhere. I'm just not seeing it.

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'm not a fan of fingerprints on coins. Some don't mind, but I do, so when I see a fingerprint on a coin, I pass 98% of the time. A coin would have to be exceptionally rare or exceptionally beautiful for me to buy it with a fingerprint.

Draft saved Draft deleted