Finger print before or after?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Trisia, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

After. Blank Planchets are not handled by hands before being struck.

Bob Evancho likes this.
  5. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

6. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

I understand why you’d ask about this particular coin. The fingerprint ridges run right up to the raised features on the surface, which certainly is not characteristic of PMD.
    However, if you look even closer, you’ll see that the fingerprint stains slightly expand as they approach the raised features of the coin. That leads me to believe that contaminant(s) that caused the fingerprint’s discoloration were likely a cutting oil or some other similar product that is designed to spread or penetrate.

7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

All coin collectors should study the minting process. It makes your coins more interesting, and answers a bunch of questions. When a coin is minted, the amount of force required to strike it, (even on ancient coins before machinery), literally melts the surface of the metal for a brief timeframe. This is what we call luster. Given that the metal would literally be melted when struck, it would be impossible for something like fingerprints, (impressions left by the oil on your fingers), to remain after striking. Most likely the oil was burned off when struck.

Now, if the fingerprint was somehow embedded in the planchet prior to striking, then that could be possible, (though it would have led to a burned finger to whomever touched the planchet while still molten). Given it would hurt A LOT, I would doubt it.

Good question OP.

CarsonJ and capthank like this.
  8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great question thank you.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely after

10. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Thanks for the great response.guess if i thought a minute longer i would have remembered about them being hot

11. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

Draft saved Draft deleted