Finest Known Indian Head Cent Struck In GOLD On A $2½ Planchet

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Penny Lady®, Jun 16, 2009.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That is a beautiful coin. It sort of reminds me of the 1831 Quarter Eagle that was struck on a dime planchet that sold at Heritage last year.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Edinmem

Edinmem hobbyist

Mralexanderb brought up the point of possible intentional pressing by a mint employee. If this can be proven can the mint seize coins similar to this . Or better yet has the mint ever seized a coin known to be from some type of fraud or criminal act. OMG just thought of someone buying this for say a 1/2 million to have it taken away by the feds...wow

4. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

I've heard of many errors over the years that mint employees were suspected of creating, and have even heard about several employees who were arrested and prosecuted, but I have never heard of the mint later confiscating those coins.

5. kevcoins

kevcoins Senior Roll Sercher

Thats amazing

6. Edinmem

Edinmem hobbyist

OK...How about this senario...I steal penny lady's flat screen and high tech DVD player and sell it to Mr Bubba. Someone calls local police with a tip on what has happened.The police will
    1) Seize equip as evidence till trial and later return it to penny lady
    2) Charge me with 2nd burglary
    3) Charge Mr Bubba with recieving stolen property

I do not see why the feds could not take the coin away with no refund and charge you with a crime

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Power rules today as then. If Obama wanted a gold lincoln, I mean really wanted one very badly, do you doubt that it wouldn't occur? What if whoever wins the Iranian election really really wanted a gold lincoln to quit developing nukes, do you really doubt it wouldn't occur?

Jim

8. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

What a beautiful IHC. I've read about them and really appreciate being able to see such good pics. Thanks PL

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think your second senario would be more likely to be possible than the first because it could be made and then passed off as a diplomatic gift. The president, ANY president trying to do the same thing for himself would probably find himself in a political firestorm with accusations of graft etc.

As to mint errors, at one time (late 19th century) the official position of the mint was that such offmetal pieces , since they did not conform with the specifications set forth in the Coinage Act of 1873, could not be legally issued and were therefore illegal to own. (And the same being true for any coin or error coin issued) There have been tales of government confiscations of errors and pattern coins, but I do not know of any specific cases I could cite so I can't say if it really happened of if they are just stories.

10. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

That is a fantastic coin, maybe one of the few I would think a few times about mortgaging my house for. I'd never do it but I should would think about it.

Thanks for sharing the article, I don't think there are any issues posting it here since you provided the link and the document is freely downloadable.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Actually there is for you are not permitted to post copyrighted material. You can post links to it all ya want, and you can post portions of articles, but ONLY portions. The rest folks have to read by clicking on the link. This is clearly spelled out in the Forum Rules.

12. lionsdog64

lionsdog64 New Member

you sure show some very very nice coins

13. PersianGuy

PersianGuy my.will.is.good

Cert Verification #: 14278304 PCGS Coin #: E2206 Date, mintmark: 1900 Denomination: 1C Variety: Minor Variety: Mint Error: Struck on Gold $2.50 Plan Pedigree: Ex Green & Beck Collection Country: The United States of America Grade: MS65RB Mintage: 66,831,502 PCGS Price GuideSM Value: $210

14. PersianGuy

PersianGuy my.will.is.good

Why is the value only $210 according to PCGS?

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

What a wicked cool coin!

However, it's dubious origin as possibly struck for a collector devalues it to me (just like restrikes).

Still would be a very cool coin to own....Mike

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I'd happily give them $500 for it! :D

17. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I doubt they have an ERROR section on their website...
    I think that year in MS65 for an indian head penny might be $210 I don't know, I don't know about values for indian head cents.
    So that is possibly what they could have done, just used that value, instead of having set aside a coin's own value sheet for errors

18. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Shoot, I'd be happy to give $1,000 for it :D

19. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

I thought that's just what I did - I only posted links and portions of the article on this coin - not sure what the problem is. My original concern was posting this in two different sections of CT.

20. CashDude

CashDude Member

Struck from the same dies?

Inside job?

Still, very amazing coins!

21. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

I saw this on the other forum, guess it works great in both places.

I collect quarter and half eagles and think this piece would be among the most desirable for me to obtain. Unfortunately items like this would make a significant dent in my mortgage.

Draft saved Draft deleted