Finding coins at garage sales?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by manny9655, Jun 7, 2020.

1. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Have any of you had any luck finding good coins at garage sales? I've gone to a few community garage sales in the past couple of years, some in fairly affluent neighborhoods, but have struck out. I was just wondering what kind of luck some of the members here have had. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My area is locked down for garage or yard sales. Also no flea markets, etc. so no I haven't.

4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Nothing. Garage sales have been a bust for me.

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Two year ago I found some nice German Notgeld coins at a local annual church sale. One of those where everything is donated.

20190213_174031.jpg 20190213_174106.jpg

manny9655 likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I used to peruse garage sales and flea markets both for coins. All I ever really seen is LCS bargain bin sort of stuff. I’m sure there are folks that have had decent finds. I just don’t seem to ever have that sort of good luck!

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

Got these both at a yardsale for 105$.

Attached Files:

manny9655 likes this.
  8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I live in an old rural area in South Central Texas. I have gone to several "Estate Sales" in the area. In each one I see the same guy pushing the sales. I have also seen the same items at different sales. They get moved from one to the other until they sell. He is a broker or something. He gets the contract for holding the sale and takes the good stuff (coins, guns, other collectables) and sells them outside of the sale. All that is left is the garage sale stuff. An example is across the road from me. We were there the minute it opened and it was just a big garage sale by then. He knows that I will never go to another sale and am using my connections to alert others to the scam. Small community, doesn't take long.

9. manny9655

Sweet!

10. manny9655

We have some large flea markets in my area that just recently have opened, but some of the stuff I've seen there is overpriced. Plus you have to watch for fakes. So I usually don't do the flea markets. I have, though, found some silver (not sliver plate) flatware at flea markets and places like Salvation Army stores. You have to know what you're looking at as far as markings go, though.

Inspector43 and Collecting Nut like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

At least someone gets to go enjoy them.:)

manny9655 and Inspector43 like this.
  12. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Never seen coins at garage sales but I do see coins at flea markets occasionally . Almost always overpriced

manny9655 likes this.
  13. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Not me but I know someone who once found a chain cent at one.

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don’t understand how this is a scam. People hire professionals to manage their family estate sales when loved ones pass or move.

I have family members who have a business where they do this. Some items get sold before the sale and some items that are left over that aren’t thrown out go to the next sale.

15. chucktee

chucktee Member

It's true. We hired a professional to liquidate our mother's estate. The agreement made clear that items from elsewhere might be brought in for the sale, and items from our mother's estate might be put up for sale elsewhere. The agent also ran a booth at an antique store in a nearby city, and I'm pretty sure I eyed my mother's silver service for sale there.

I can understand the frustration of buyers going to an estate sale run by a third party and finding that what's for sale there is not in line with their expectations, but from the heirs' point of view, it's about liquidating the estate after they've had their chance to keep what they want to keep. The heirs give up a lot of control over how the estate is sold, how much things sell for, etc.

Is it a better deal for the agent than for the heirs? Yes, probably. A better deal for the agent than for the buyers? Yes, probably.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is common in my area. Sometimes they buy everything in the house at a set price and get to use the house for the sale. They haul everything away at the end of the sale and leave the house completely empty for the family.

Sometimes they even buy the house and market it while the sale is going on. It makes it easy for the family and sets a market value if needed for tax reasons.

I have seen coins at these type of sales but they were priced above what I would pay. Never found anything rare. Just common stuff.

manny9655 likes this.
  17. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

I've found coins at some sales, and have only bought twice. First was my first purchase July 2019.

7 Korean War 1 oz silver Rounds private mint
    3 1/10 GASE
    Proof ASE
    1st 6 ASE unc
    Thomas Jefferson Set
    Statue of Liberty Set

Second was yesterday, 1975 proof set and 3 1996 unc sets, with the dime.

manny9655 and Inspector43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted