Finding a dealer

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 29, 2004.

1. coinlvr

coinlvr New Member

...or it can mean he has bought alot of coins from a particular source that liked that company. The "bad" grading companies underbrade coins also. All I was stating was not to judge a dealer by his inventory. Most "brick and mortar" coin shops will not try to cheat anyone as they cannot easily hide.;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

The situation you described sounds like an unusual occurrence, whereas I was speaking of "a dealer whose inventory consists primarily of...". Sure the "bad" grading companies under-grade too - it's just that they do that far less frequently than they badly over-grade. And, whether they can easily hide or not, plenty of "brick and mortar" coin shops try to rip people off.

4. coinlvr

coinlvr New Member

Must be a southwest thing. Too much competition betwwen stores in the midwest. Not that all dealers up here are honest, but the majoity are. Everyone needs to be careful, but the last thing a dealer around here wants is a reputation for ripping people off. We have 5 stores just in the town I live in. If any of them ripped people off, they would have NO traffic and would not remain in buisness long.

5. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

That's good to hear.

6. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Been collecting for about 40 years, I have dealt with hundreds of dealers over the years. My personal experience is that most dealers will take advantage of a person if they dont know what they are doing. NOT ALL, but most. It might be an old lady coming in with 20 morgans and the dealer says its bullion, pays her and when she leaves makes a statement like. Dang, look at this 85 its a CC. <--- seen it happen. There are honest dealers out there gang. Find them and deal away..

If i seen a dealer sitting with a bunch of alphabet slabs, I would question why they didnt free them and grade them accurately and sell them. I know the difference as do most who come here. Does the alphabet slab say its genuine? Are the grades accurate? NO TO BOTH.

7. britishindia

britishindia New Member

hi i am looking for britishindia coin dealers.
    contact me at my website www.bharatcoins.com

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i have read your website instructions on cleaning coins not only are they wrong they damage the coins. Man i hope you are not putting toothpaste on your coins to clean them

9. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

LOL he left CT and made a coin forum on his site. :mouth:

10. KomkaCoins

KomkaCoins Member

I buy collections all the time and if there are lower end company slabs and someone sees them on my site your saying that my customers or potential customers would devalue me and my company solely on the holders?

11. KomkaCoins

KomkaCoins Member

Not trying to be confrontational but I am curious. How many "brick and mortar" shops have you been to that you feel try and rip you off? Or is it just the prices listed on coins?

We have been on the same street since 1980. We couldn't of been in business that long if we ripped off people. I do think there is some that out there but i think it is a small percentage. Wouldn't that make them go out of business?

Some shops have different levels of overhead and grade/value coins differently. So I can see how you could see it differently.

12. spiatefla

spiatefla Junior Member

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

That is sad, It might be a good idea to start one though there would
    Be alot of support on here for that!!

14. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

There should be, Knoxville has 3 local plus

There should be, Knoxville has 3 local plus monthly, yearly shows.
    There are shows in Dayton, Crossville, Memphis, Chatt.
    Look up Tennessee State Numismatic Society (TSNS) to check about clubs and shows in your area if not near by.

15. all4u

all4u bullion noob

I live in the outskirts of Chicago and there isn't much by me either that I can find, so I know what you are going through.

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

If you dont have one in your area, Start one! Iam sure there are others
    Looking in your same area!

17. SNDMN59

SNDMN59 New Member

I dont really consider myself a dealer but a seller , I make it known at the mall, that I am not a expert as grading a coin, lol with the bad eye I have trouble with some mint marks on certain coins .They can contact me a nd I will meet them there to do the best, I can to satisfy the customer.
    As said before Im mainly into selling antiques, and customers was asking about selling coins, It seems to be doing pretty good , no complaints yet , But I have also gotten intersted in coins myself since reading and searching on cointalk Sorry so long .

18. aye

aye Junior Member

I'm baffled at how to evaluate the integrity of an online dealer. Is there licensing and bonding required of dealers? Are there other criteria that can be effective and useful? Finding an established business is one strategy but many upstart businesses offer attractive deals. I'm interested in a dealer in Springfield, Illinois. I asked him what assurance he could offer that I could buy from him with assurance that my purchases would be satisfactorily filled--he replied that his business was 'registered' and that he had made a substantial investment in his business. Any suggestions on how to evaluate the integrity of dealers?

19. craigdevans

craigdevans Junior Member

How much can I get for a 1927 $20 MS 63 St. Gaudens?

I need to sell this coin. Rather than know it's "value", I would rather know how much I can get for it.

Attached Files:

20. hohoho799

hohoho799 Junior Member

As far as dealers are concerned you have to understand that it is how they make there living.. having said this there are dealers that are very helpful and will sell coins a fair prices. As far as internet dealers i have had the most success with www.tkcoins.com and www.villagecoin.com both sites have sold me coins that i needed and didnt even know i needed :) hahah my point is be careful who u are dealing with but there ARE good people out there!!!

21. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I am going to be in the Los Angeles (Thousand Oaks) area over Thanksgiving week and am interested in finding some quality shops to visit. Is there a member here that can direct me towards quality shops down there? I am looking to avoid the duds since my time will be limited to one afternoon. I am only interested in US, with a primary focus on currency.

I live in Northern California and have searched online for shops in Sacramento (and visited many), after visiting about a dozen I wouldn't ever recommend half of them to anyone.

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted