Finally won something! CNG win

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kazuma78, Jan 29, 2020.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I've been wanting a dolphin rider for a long period of time, and the most recent CNG auction had several up for sale. I narrowed it down to a couple, and this was the one that I liked the most. I really liked the dolphin above the waves, the helmet, and the details in the faces. The old Cabinet toning was the icing on the cake. Thoughts and comments are welcome!

20200129_083808.jpg

CALABRIA, Tarentum.
    Circa 344-340 BC. AR Nomos (20mm, 7.64 g, 1h). Warrior, nude, holding shield and spear, dismounting from horse rearing left; |- below / Phalanthos, nude, holding helmet, riding dolphin left; below, I above waves. Fischer-Bossert Group 47, 653l (V252/R505 – this coin); Vlasto 440 (same obv. die); HN Italy 876. Deep old iridescent tone, overstruck on uncertain type. EF.

From the Matthew Curtis Collection. Ex Numismatica Ars Classica 7 (2 March 1994), lot 155.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful coin - congratulations on the fine addition to your collection. Here is mine with a boy rather than the warrior obverse, a later issue. Phalanthros is holding a distaff and aphlaston rather than a helmet (not sure how he keeps his seat - if you are riding a dolphin, it is probably best to have one hand free to hang on, as in the OP). Not sure of the significance of that, but I know there are a lot of varieties of these.

Tarantum Calabria - Didrachm Nov 2019 (0).jpg

Calabria, Tarentum
    AR Nomos
    Hippodanos Magistrate
    (c. 280-272 B.C.)

Naked youth on horseback right, crowning self; ΣΩ to left, ZAΛO & Ionic capital below / Phalanthos riding dolphin left, holding distaff & aphlaston; TAΡA[Σ] below; ANO to right. Vlasto 803–7.
    (6.30 grams / 19 mm)

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations! This is a really exceptional example in all of the important attributes for this series.

Paul M., dougsmit and kazuma78 like this.
  6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin. I have to get one of these with the waves below. Struck with fresh dies. Love the detail, especially in the Corinthian helmet.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Excellent choice of variety! I love this series but was so overwhelmed with choices that it took a long time to pick one (heh, like I'll only buy one...)

[​IMG]
    CALABRIA, Tarentum
    circa 344-340 BCE per CNG's cataloger; 380-345 BCE per Cote/Ratto;
    AR nomos (didrachm); 21 mm, 7.72 gm, 9h
    Obv: Warrior, holding small shield in left hand, dismounting from horse galloping left; horizontal T below
    Rev: Phalanthos (Taras?), holding helmet in right hand, riding dolphin left; TAPAΣ to upper right, I and waves below
    Ref: Fischer-Bossert group 47, 657 (V252/R509); Vlasto 437 (same dies); HN Italy 876; Côte 152
    Ex Dr. Spencer Paterson Collection of Ancient Coins, Sept 2019
    Slabbed prior to its most recent sale to me and quickly de-slabbed upon arrival; NGC XF, 5/5, 4/5, Fine Style.
    Prior sales: CNG's Coin shop (date unknown); Roma Auction 6 lot 327 (Sept 2013)
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/my-first-tarentum-dolphin-rider.347715/

Theodosius, Paul M., octavius and 9 others like this.
  8. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Congrats! Beautiful type and iridescent toning! A Dolphin rider nomos is on my list too, but I'm trying to finish my Roman collection first.

kazuma78 likes this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Lovely coin, it feels great to land such a nice example.

kazuma78 likes this.
  10. kazuma78

Tif, your example is what inspired me to find one with the Corinthian helmet.

Justin Lee and TIF like this.
  11. kazuma78

Joe, that means alot coming from you since I know your eye for ancients is superb.

AncientJoe and Justin Lee like this.
  12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

What a lovely example! A great buy!

13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats on the win! I've always liked the dismounting horserider type. I also particularly like the dolphin's expression on your coin... he's got abit of a snarl there! There were some really exceptional dolphin riders in that auction, and Matthew Curtis acquired quite a number of ex Vlasto Collection pieces, the most desirable pedigree for Tarentine staters, and also some of those recorded in the Fischer-Bossert die study (like yours). I would've liked to have picked up at least one of them, but bidding was pretty strong, and I had committed my budget to a later lot.

Some favorites of mine...

Tarentum - Nomos Vlasto 2073 new.jpg
    CALABRIA, Tarentum
    AR Stater. 7.97g, 21.4mm. CALABRIA, Tarentum, circa 400-390 BC. Fischer-Bossert Group 26, 361a (V164/R283) = Vlasto 339 (this coin, illustrated in both); HN Italy 850. O: Naked ephebos on horse galloping right; small Λ below. R: Phalanthos, holding torch, riding dolphin left; TAPAΣ below.
    Ex William N. Rudman Collection (Triton V, 15 January 2002), lot 1043; CNG Auction 53 (15 March 2000), lot 31; Ex Vlasto Collection, 339 (Michel Pandely Vlasto, 1874-1936)

Tarentum - Nomos - Prow.jpg
    CALABRIA, Tarentum
    AR Stater. 7.75g, 22.3mm. CALABRIA, Tarentum, circa 332-281 BC. Fischer-Bossert Group 80, 1131 (V417/R873); Vlasto 587; HN Italy 934. O: Warrior, holding shield and two spears, preparing to cast a third, on horseback right; ΣA below. R: TAPAΣ, Phalanthos, holding distaff, riding dolphin left; pellet to left; below, prow left.
    Ex Thomas Bentley Cederlind Collection; Ex Numismatica Ars Classica 84 (20 May 2015), lot 1358

Tarentum - Nomos Small Dolphin new.jpg
    CALABRIA, Tarentum
    AR Nomos. 7.50g, 20.2mm. CALABRIA, Tarentum, circa 325-281 BC. Fischer-Bossert 870c (this coin); Vlasto 607; SNG Copenhagen 849; SNG France 1800 (same obverse die). O: Nude rider on horse galloping to right, stabbing with spear held in his right hand and holding two other spears and shield with his left; below, ΣΑ. R: TAPAΣ, Phalanthos riding dolphin to left, holding kantharos in his right hand and trident in his left; below, little dolphin leaping left; K in left field.
    Ex Schweizerischer Bankverein 29 (28 January 1992), lot 12

14. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

That is a beautiful coin. You are right, the toning sets it off....and the musculature is stunning!

kazuma78 likes this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's absolutely gorgeous!

kazuma78 likes this.
  16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Spectacular !

Q

kazuma78 likes this.
  17. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

kazuma78, Your coin has great style for the type :D!

18. Spargrodan

Spargrodan Well-Known Member

@kazuma78 Amazing! Really like all small details as the helmet and the face of the dolphin.

Draft saved Draft deleted