Finally succumed to it's desirability, and as a result ...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

... I got an owl!

0.1 Attica Tetradrachm.png

I've been on the lookout for this type for over a year now, closely monitoring the results of types sold/hammered. And despite the large influx of the tetradrachms into the market, they still can achieve high results. Finding a coin is a balance between the amount of money I can and am willing to spend, and flaws which temper the price. When I saw this one, it checked all my boxes: a beautifully rendered coin with flaws that make it perfect for me.

It's the first time I've ever held a tetradrachm in hand! Can you recall that feeling? The relief of the feathers on the owl, the high edges on the reverse, the history behind this coin; the feel is amazing. I absolutely love it! Will I know continue collecting Greek coins? I don't know, but I will be looking at Greek sections of auctions/sales with more interest, so who knows...

Just wanted to share my enthousiasm with this board. Please post anything you want.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great coin @Limes . Congrats on snagging this very interesting and desirable type. The coin that lived in the Parthenon!

Her is mine.
    8EDF238C-D5B8-476C-823C-27610A4C9B83.jpeg

4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Congrats on finding your sweet spot, @Limes! For being as universal a principle as it is, you put it particularly well --never mind the illustration!

Limes likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice, congrats. Can never go wrong with an Athens Owl

[​IMG]
    Attica, Athens (353 - 294 B.C)
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: Helmeted head of Athena right
    R: AΘE Owl standing right, head facing, olive sprig and crescent to left; all within incuse square.
    16.59g
    21 mm
    Kroll -; HGC 4, 1599

Ex. Numismatik-Naumann, Auction 52, Lot 126

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

WoW ! I'm barely an Ancient collector and I love it . It's the cooliest . I think I've seen it before in a magazine maybe .

ominus1 and Limes like this.
  7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Owl Club!

Is this a little test mark that I see on the wing of your owl, or is it something different?

Mine has obvious flaws and wear, too, but I like it a lot nonetheless. Tetradrachms are simply impressive in hand:
    Magna Graecia – Attica, Athen, tetradrachme.png
    Attica, Athens, AR tetradrachm, ca. 440s–430s BC. Obv: head of Athena to right, wearing crested Attic helmet decorated with three olive leaves and palmette. Rev: AΘE; Owl standing right, head facing; to left, olive sprig and crescent; all within incuse square. 24mm, 17.14g. Ref: Kroll 8.

Edessa, Andres2, benhur767 and 11 others like this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Still on the want list. Honestly, this is probably the ideal time to acquire one. All I need to do is find a spare $500+.

That’s a really nice one. Congrats.

Restitutor and Limes like this.
  10. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the owl, @Limes! Agree that these are nice in-hand- hefty with high relief!

athens tetradrachm.jpg

Athens Tetradrachm #2.jpg

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats, @Limes !

ATTICA OWLS

upload_2020-11-16_13-0-24.png
    Athens Owl TET 16.8g 22x6-5mm Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63

upload_2020-11-16_13-1-28.png
    Athens Attica 454-404 BCE AR HemiDrachm 16mm 2.08g Athena frontal eye - facing Owl wings closed olive branches COP 70 SG 2528

upload_2020-11-16_13-2-53.png
    Athens 340-317 BCE BC AE 12 Athena attic helmet R- Double bodied Owl with head facing E olive sprigs kalathos RARE BMC 224

Edessa, Bing, Johndakerftw and 9 others like this.
  12. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Thanks all, for the replies :)

Are you referring to the little hole? I'm not quite sure what it is. It's more present on the photo's then in hand.

There are sellers where a good deal is possible. I feel a bit burdened to share the hammer price (ex fees and shipping) of my specimen, but it was well below $500 (or, 379 BP)...

+VGO.DVCKS and Gavin Richardson like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would assume that the large flaw on the obverse would make the coin hard to sell so you were able to get a lot more in the way of completeness for the money. We usually see test cuts that drop the coin price by a massive amount but I suspect this one would not be as down-priced as one with a test cut. It is always great when the right coin finds the right collection. Congratulations.

14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...Sal...ya crack me up:rolleyes::D...nice owl Limes...:)..i still just got this'un..but i'm good wid it..:) stone Owl statuette 001.JPG

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  15. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I am strange for a host of reasons, not the least of which is that, were I to acquire an Athenian owl, I think I would prefer one with the test cut. I think it says something interesting about the economic contexts of that coin’s circulation.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I've yet to buy one as I focus almost exclusively on Roman Imperial and Provincial, with a few coins of the diadochoi and successors thrown in. Sure a nice example @Limes

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  17. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

love your owl, great coin, congrats!
    owl by Boze.jpg

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  18. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Precisely! Just like bankers' marks on Roman Republican and peck marks on late Anglo-Saxon. Some social history along with the political and cultural sides; covering all bases, so to speak.
    ...Magnificent example, @Limes, ...um, btw. Sorry; takes some of us longer....

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  19. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Limes, thats a beauty. I think its a small countermark on Athena's cheek.

I have one with a small testcut (obverse top)

P1150895.JPG

and one with a serious testcut

P1150895testcut3.jpg

20. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Lovely bird :)

Here's mine:

athenscombo.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted