Finally Starting a 7070 Album Journey!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by slamster17, Apr 19, 2016.

1. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Well, I finally managed to get my hands on a Dansco 7070 thanks to a friend of mine. I had begun to create a slabbed type set which I will continue working on as well. Really excited to get started with one of these albums too. I might pick up a new gold page for it, because it has some writing on it, but other that that its perfect. I'll try to get some pics up. I have to decide where to start, but I have some excellent resources for tracking my progress thanks to some of the members here. It came with some holes filled, which is also great. 1859 Indian 1C, a couple other small cents, and some of the modern stuff. I think I want to try to keep it XF+. I know some may be tough for me at that grade range but we will see. Any tips going forward? I know its going to be a long term project.

Attached Files:

dwhiz, TJ1952, spirityoda and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Sounds like a fun project. Wish I could find one of those albums for less than moon money.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The only tips I would offer are:
    1. Don't be afraid to wait for (and pay for) quality.
    2. If the choice is between buying one of the expensive coins and multiples of the less expensive coins, buy the one more expensive one.
    3. Have fun. :)
    Oh, and, personally, I'd fill the commemorative half slots with some of the nicer designs: Oregon trail, Stone Mountain, Connecticut, etc.

5. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I agree. Do the expensive coins first. It's alot of fun. So far my cappest bust half is my lpest grade at a 45. Picked it up for the color though. May improve on it down the road.

Attached Files:

Travlntiques and slamster17 like this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I need to do this again. My greatest joy back in the day was my AG-VG problem free 7070 complete set. Oh how I miss thee...

Stevearino, Jdiablo30 and Paul M. like this.
  7. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Thanks! Definitely agree on the commemorative halves, Connecticut and Oregon Trail are two of my favorite designs!

8. david clark

david clark Member

I have a 7070 available if anybody cares to make me a fair offer, currently holding a birth year set of 1959 world coins! I can sell you the album but not the coins! D

9. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

And just for fun here is my first completed page...the bicentennial page...I think I could see myself upgrading the quarter and half to their silver counterparts..

Attached Files:

dwhiz and Paul M. like this.
  10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

IMO the Intercept Shield type set is better for protecting the BU coins. Seems like everybody's stuck on the outdated 7070.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Just checked them out,they have a few openings that are missing in the dansco. Maybe I will do the upgrade. They include the type 2 gold dollar,the 3 dollar gold. Some newer moderns as well. Thanks for the info.

12. Paul M.

Littleton and CAPS also make type set albums. I think the 7070 is nice in terms of balancing the coins it includes vs what it leaves out, but I don't actually like the materials it's made of. I prefer CAPS or Intercept as far as materials go.

13. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

The original owner of my new 7070 modified the gold page to include the $3, the type 2 gold $, and a couple others, so thats taken care of (lol).

14. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Here's how I approached my typeset.
    1. I wanted enough details on a coin so that someone looking at it could get a good idea of what the Mint intended. To that end I decided my coins would be XF or better.
    2. I put a $500 limit on a cost per coin.

The "$500/coin" turned out to be the first criterion that went down the drain followed shortly by "XF or better".

Paul M. likes this.
  15. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

The coins in my type set are a nice mix of varieties, cracks, and tone. All coins I'd never get rid of. I have 2 complete pages so far. I wouldn't trade my 7070 for any of the the options available

Paul M. likes this.
  16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Kanga, I feel your pain. "Aspirations meet reality."

slamster17 likes this.
  17. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Yea, Kanga, what did the reality end up being? More than $500/coin, or worse than XF? or both?? Inquiring minds...

18. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

The reality ended up being the oft stated and quoted, "The best I can afford."

Paul M. and slamster17 like this.
  19. Paul M.

How did you ever find the more modern pieces in AG/VG?

20. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

There are several concepts of what comprises a US Type Set.
    Dansco is obviously one.
    NGC has their opinion in their Registry and I believe PCGS does also.
    And I think Littleton and Intercept Shield also have their versions.
    (I use NGC.)

None of them agree as to what is complete far as I know.
    But I suggest that a good guide would be the one listed in the monthly copy of Coin World (not their weekly edition).
    Find a copy and Xerox it for your use; it only covers 2 pages.

slamster17, Stevearino and Paul M. like this.
  21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Occasionally I would find a worn out state quarter, SBA, or a roached Sacagewea, but truth be told those were about mid VF's. But they still had "the look".
    The only ones I didn't have circulated yet were the ASE and modern Commemorative Dollar, as I recall.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted