Finally, my Top 10 for 2020, all Roman Republican

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Dec 8, 2020.

1. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Nice collection and post. I know you’ve put a lot of time and effort into your hobby. So props.

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Fantastic coins, congratulations !! Very difficult to choose the best one, I gave up.

DonnaML likes this.
  4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm late to the Republican party. (See what I did there?) At any rate, I wanted to wait until I could spend some time with this list. And what a list! It's hard to pick a favorite, so let me just comment that something about that sacrificing scene reminded me of this image of Dido sacrificing, from the Vatican Vergil, ca. 400 AD. I guess these iconographies are pretty stable.

2020-12-15.png

5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thank you. That's a fascinating image.

And, speaking of this particular stable (pun intended?) iconography, I think we need a sacrificial scene with a lighted altar involving a goat, in addition to the one with a heifer, in order to properly match it. (Pun intended.) Here's one I like, even though it didn't make my top 10 for this year:

Roman Republic, L. Pomponius Molo, AR Denarius, 97 BCE. Obv. Laureate head of Apollo right, L•POMPON• MOLO / Rev. Numa Pompilius [legendary second king of Rome after Romulus], holding lituus in left hand, standing right before a lighted altar, at which he is about to sacrifice a goat, which is led by a victimarius standing left, NVMA•POMPIL in exergue (MA and MP in monogram). Crawford 334/1, RSC I Pomponia 6 (ill.), BMCRR Italy 733, Sydenham 607, Sear RCV I 214 (ill.). 19.7 mm., 3,86 g. *[Double die match to CNG E-Auction 157, Jan. 2007, Lot 149?]

Pomponius Molo jpg version.jpg

*See RSC I at p. 77: “This type is an allusion to the supposed descent of the gens [Pomponia] from Pompo, one of the sons of Numa Pompilius, who is here represented as sacrificing to Apollo.” Crawford’s interpretation is the same; see Crawford Vol. I at p. 333.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Ah yes. A coin for every sacrifice.

DonnaML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted