Finally, my Top 10 for 2020, all Roman Republican

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Dec 8, 2020.

1. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

A thoughtfuul and attractive selection.
    Your "pair" of Cr. 382.1 and 383.1 are my favorites

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for your very kind words. I had a lot of enjoyment this year from adding to my collection of Roman Republican coins. Finding enjoyment this year, in whatever way, has been especially important for reasons we all know.

Of course it hasn't just been "see coin, buy coin" for me; I probably looked at more than 200 Republican coins for each one I decided to buy, not even counting the ones out of my price range. A substantial number of Republican coins are so off-center or so worn that much of the design is missing or not visible, and there are many other coins that may be in great condition but are so repetitive, with minor differences, that they just didn't interest me -- an endless procession of bigas and quadrigas with Roma on the obverse. But when I see a Republican coin I do really like, with an interesting reverse (I like dynamic reverses with "things happening," like @dougsmit, plus I love non-equestrian animals of course!) I tend to fall in love with it in an instant. Including the one biga I did buy, together with the triga that I feel goes with it.

@Restitutor, welcome to Roman Republican coin collecting. There's plenty of room for both of us!

@dougsmit, I'm sure you've posted them all before, but I'd be very curious to see the other Republican types you particularly like. I do know that there's one type you have -- the other Fonteius with a galley, different from mine in that the Dioscuri's heads are jugate, and the galley is in a sort of three-quarters view -- that I very much want. But I rarely see decent examples.

@svessian, I agree that the Vibius Varus (panther) and Fonteius Capito (Roman horseman) are often off-center. The same is true of some of the others, like the Mamilius with Ulysses and his dog on the reverse -- it seems that more than half the examples are missing the dog! So when I saw examples that were almost fully centered, and weren't missing anything important from the design, I jumped on them right away.

@Marsyas Mike, I apologize for not selecting my Apollo-Marsyas denarius for my top 10. But don't forget that it was one of the five I posted that didn't make the top 10, which means it was in my top 15 -- tied for 12th with the Vibius Pansa, in fact. Which isn't bad! Here it is again:

Censorinus (Apollo - Marsyas) jpg version Crawford 363-1a.jpg

4. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great coins, congratulations on such a fine list! I really enjoy seeing no's 1 and 5.

DonnaML likes this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

All great selections, Donna. You surely have a very fruitful 2020. :)

I keep looking at the various beautiful reverse designs, and wonder if you usually display the coin reverses in your stackable trays. If you display their reverse designs, would you put all animal designs in one row, and something else on another row? Or just according to purchase date?

DonnaML likes this.
  6. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Great choices! You make Roman coins look interesting, and they are not even my area of collecting. I would say that my favorite one is the Naevious Balbus one, partly because of the comedic name of the moneyer, but mostly because of that cheeky horse. I love chariots on coins!

DonnaML likes this.
  7. DonnaML

Yes, I display all but a few of my Republican coins with the reverses showing in the trays. And I have them all in chronological order. I do have to move them around a little every time I buy a new one. to make space for it, but it doesn't take long to do that with only 42 Republican coins. If I had 420, it might take too long to do that every time and I'd have to figure out something else!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    happy_collector likes this.
  8. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Great selection @DonnaML !! You certainly have an eye for interesting and beautiful Republican denarii. The reverse on the Publius Fonteius P.f. Capito is spectacular!
    Congrats on your 2020 acquisitions!

DonnaML likes this.
  9. DonnaML

Here's a question about the reverse of the Naevius Balbus (No. 6). What is the object resting on the exergue line between the chariot wheel and the back legs of the horses? All I can think of is that perhaps it's supposed to be part of the other chariot wheel; I don't know what else it might be. Thanks.

10. DonnaML

I know that you haven't collected Roman coins before, but have you really found them uninteresting? I find that interesting!

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Other wheel but not real well done.
    Of course I can't remember what you have and did not include but my favorite RR denarii are below.
    My favorite of all is the one you want. Mine is not the greatest but Bing has a nicer one.
    r12760fd3300.jpg
    r10820bb0715.jpg r12080bb0921.jpg
    r12530bb2849.jpg
    r12890bb2190.jpg
    r26580bb0023.jpg r27120fd2298.jpg r28070fd2409.jpg

No longer mine - sniff, sniff:
    r12240bb2273.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thank you @dougsmit. It Mn Fonteius 2b.jpg is rather nice

eparch, zumbly, Marsyas Mike and 3 others like this.
  13. DonnaML

All great types. Thanks. I have the Sergius Silus and Sulpicius Galba. (I also have the other type of "supplicant kneeling before a camel" reverse, the Aulus Plautius with Cybele on the obverse and "Bacchius Iudaeus" as the supplicant.) Besides the M. Fonteius/galley, the other two I've specifically wanted for a while are the M. Volteius with the snake biga, and the T. Didius with the gladiators on the reverse. The problem with the M. Volteius is that it seems that either or both of the snakes aren't visible on a substantial majority of the examples (sort of defeating the purpose of buying one!). Or, if the snakes are visible, the coin has other issues. See this example, currently the only one on VCoins: https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/nu...ome__silver_crawford_3853/952343/Default.aspx. And despite those problems, it's almost $300. Too much.

The problem with the T. Didius is that -- presumably because "gladiators" -- decent examples are extremely expensive. I haven't seen one yet that I could reasonably afford.

Good examples of the Fonteius I want are very expensive too these days. I'd love to have this one, but, tempting as it may be, $1,300 is a bit steep! See https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ap...denarius__dioscurigalley/1398049/Default.aspx .

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  14. DonnaML

15. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Excellent coins!

#3 is a classic.

DonnaML likes this.
  16. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was a strong word.. From all the periods of Roman coins I prefer the republican ones style wise, and I actually got one. It is mostly the Roman empire ones I find hard to like. To my eyes they are all too similar. But at the end of the day it is all down to personal taste.

DonnaML likes this.
  17. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Lovely collection!....#1 for me is the Biga, wonderful reverse movement with both sides having really nice detail and well balanced.....Followed closely by the elephant. But they are all sweet coins, Congrats on a good year.

DonnaML likes this.
  18. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Very nice! - A good year for RR coins. I like them all, but #42 is of course special mostly for being the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

ATB,
    Aidan.

DonnaML likes this.
  19. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Donna, it is an impressive array of attractive and interesting RR silver coins. The write-ups are quite comprehensive. You should be commended. My first ancient coin was a Roman Republican denarius and the allure has grown over decades.

DonnaML likes this.
  20. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@DonnaML, as you know, I start too many posts about RR denarii with "this is one of my favorites"....congrats on an excellent year of RRs. The C. Fonteius and Cn. Plancius are my favorites (at least until I browse your post again). Best wishes for 2021 collecting!

DonnaML likes this.
  21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

An awesome 10! All well-chosen examples of interesting types. The Limetanus is my favorite here for being the type I'm most keen to add to my collection and for your coin being an especially enviable specimen. Looking forward to seeing what coins 2021 will bring you.

DonnaML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted