Finally made a couple of CoinStar finds... sort of.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 12, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Behold! Some spotty old stuff. An 1896 Austrian 2-heller and 1949-F West German 50-pfennig.

20181210_140132.jpg 20181210_140219.jpg

I said "sort of" in the title because these appeared in the CoinStar reject slot after I ran my own change through the hopper.

They did not fare so well in the bottom of my car console change compartment, which was truly disgusting since it was full of drink spills and accumulated fast food crumbs. I had to clean all that crud out of the corners after digging out the sticky change.

I can only surmise that these two old European coins somehow escaped whatever bulk bag I was sorting and ended up in pocket change, making their way to the car console eventually.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Wow, you found *real* Mint errors then ??
    lol

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Well, there was an old dinner mint in there with the change.

(Fortunately still wrapped, or that stuff would've been even stickier.)

Theodosius and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

PS- if you were to forensically test that adhesion at 11:00 on the German coin (behind the lady's head) I am nearly certain you would find it to be a minuscule McDonald's french fry crumb. :p

Should I do a taste test to determine that? :wacky::yack:

Theodosius and ddddd like this.
  6. tmeyer

tmeyer Au hunter

Nice find! I keep looking but nothing yet.

7. lordmarcovan

I never find anything either, except ironically in my own change, as mentioned.

Theodosius and tmeyer like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I see your basic problem here, don't you? You have obviously not fully committed to the idea that everything in numismatics is supposed to be "free" and/or a circulation find. You know - "what kind of error is this?" :rolleyes:

Note to newbs: This is a fantastically EXPENSIVE hobby when done for the profit motive. Rare coins are NOT just out there for the picking. Grow up and step away from the YouTube app! :rolleyes:o_O

9. lordmarcovan

Who said anything about rare coins? These are common as dirt. :hilarious:

10. V. Kurt Bellman

The rare ones are the ones they pick out of circulation with their birthday USB microscope. :rolleyes: And then breathlessly post them on CoinTalk. [:rolleyes: on steroids]

BTW, I luvs me some Austrian 2 Heller - great strikes and durable as all git out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  11. Alan Cecil

Alan Cecil Active Member

I live close to Denver and Walmart was the only vendor with Coin Star and now have all been removed from there

12. lordmarcovan

They're handsome coins. I've found some nice ones in bulk lots (MS63-ish RBs, even). Still cheap even in UNC, but so what. They're cool.

Since they don't bear the name of any country on them, they're a frequent stumbling block for novice World Coin collectors. I guess back in the heyday of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, one look at that double-headed eagle was all you needed. (Never mind Russia, Finland, etc, with their double-headed eagles at the time.)

Theodosius likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

And right now, in South Philly, at the NovaCare center, we have the “Empty Headed Eagles”.

14. Kim Greenwood

Kim Greenwood New Member

I finally found some change in the Coin Star reject bin. A bent clad dime, and a 1964 D and 1953 D. The 64 looks remarkably clean and little wear. Finally, something to report:)

tmeyer, lordmarcovan and Theodosius like this.
  15. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Cool...... I just found a couple of Canadian coins recently in a local coin star machine. It is always fun to find something!

tmeyer and lordmarcovan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted